Author Topic: What does the "I17:ARRAY1 Resynching" message mean on TeraStation?  (Read 27231 times)

paw063008

• Calf
What does the "I17:ARRAY1 Resynching" message mean on TeraStation?
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:44 AM »

Hi All!

KB says "Resynching refers to the TeraStation performing operations to attempt to solidify the RAID on itself. This process generally takes approximately 6-8 hours to complete. If not done in the specified time, please contact technical support."

My question is what if after 6-8 hours it's not yet done? What else can we do? Does it affect the maintenance backup plan ?  

In the GUI Information says "System Performance is decreasing now." is this caused by I17: Array Resynching? Or this is a different problem? If so,what's the cause and solution?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: What does the "I17:ARRAY1 Resynching" message mean on TeraStation?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:22:39 AM »
When this happens you will see slower performance due to the units processor running the raid check.  This can take up to 6 to 8 hours per terabyte.  If the unit does not come out of this mode you can shut down the device (from maintenance) then you can hold the init button when its booting to log into EM mode and install a new firmware. 

paw063008

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »
   Hi Paul! Thank you for the information. :smileyhappy:

egillani

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »
   I am also getting the I17 Array 1 Resynching message, but I am not able to access the web interface. Is this because of the Resynching?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:31:18 PM »
Possibly.  Is Nas Navi showing an valid IP address?  How are you trying to access the GUI?  What happens when you put the IP address in the address bar of a web browser?

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 02:48:52 PM »

Something we've noticed is that when the array is resyncing, web access will indeed periodically be lost, or be too slow to use.  If you want to speed it up, stop any possible I/O getting to the box and it seems to speed up a bit, but still tends to take several hours :(

Not sure if you said what model you have, but we've noticed this even on the most recent models.

dgkelp

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »
   Yes the lack of GUI or very slow performance in the GUI is caused by the processor being used up to run the resync/check.

powerturn

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 06:11:47 PM »

My TeraStation Live HS-DH-TGL/R5 has been resyncing with I17 status on front panel for over a week.  On 3/23 it accidentally lost power, rebooted ok, and was accessible for a few hours.  Then the resyncing started.  Can't access via web browser to IP.  NasNavi2 saw it on the network a few days ago but can no longer see it.

I don't want to lose the data so I haven't touched it.  Any suggestions?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »

There is a bad HD.  Is any of the HD lights red?  If you can log into the GUI then go to disk management and click on you RAID Array1.  You should see the four disk at the bottom with check boxes.  The drive without a check box is the bad drive.  Replace the drive with the same spec drive.  Once you have the new drive in then go back to the GUI and back to RAID Array1 and check the box for the drive and hit resync raid.

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

JoshC,

I have a similar problem. My Linkstation Duo LS-WXL/R1 (set to RAID1) went into I17 after a power failure. I can get the web admin screen but it said that my username/password incorrect.

I can still access the folders during the sync and all my files appeared intact.

After 8-9 hours, the whole sync was completed (no more flashing red LED). I tried to login again to web admin, but still it's giving me username / password incorrect.

What happened and how do I get in to web admin?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »

Did you set the password to something else?  The default is admin/password?  If you set it to something else then try to reset the unit.

powerturn

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »

No red HD lights.  Can't log into GUI. I can ping the unit's IP address, but can't get access via browser.

LinkAct light is flashing green.  Message is solid orange.  Access light for drive 1 blinking bright green.  Access light for drive 2 seems dimmer, but can't tell if it is spill over light from drive 1. Faint reflective light for drives 3 and 4.  I don't know if the lights for 2 - 4 ever light up. No fail lights on.

What happens if I just shut it down?

I really don't want to lose all the data.  Sigh.

Thanks for your help.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 12:30:28 AM »

If you can ping the address then directly connect the unit to your PC via Ethernet cable and set a static on your NIC card and see if you can get to the GUI.

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 06:58:48 AM »

Yes, I changed the password from the default during initial setup.

I have always been able to login using the new password until the i17.

I did the reset using the FUNC button while turning on the unit and press FUNC again. The POWER and FUNC buttons were both flashing blue for sometime until the POWER led became solid blue.

The only change I noticed is the IP number is now getting it from DHCP (before it was fixed IP). However, Username/Password login (new and default) still didn't work. I can still access the folders though - just couldn't login to web admin. Firmware is version 1.24. I believe it's the latest version.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: I changed the IP setting from NasNavigator2 to a fixed IP. When it asked for the  Administrator password to verify, it accepts the default PASSWORD !! So, the password has reverted to default, but web admin seems not to recognize it.

powerturn

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »

Connected directly but couldn't connect to GUI.  The following shows the last 5 messages I received from the Terastation.  The first is the standard report I got every day.  The last four are after the accidental power disconnect.

Activity Report
[TeraStationInformation]
 TeraStationName: TERASTA2TB
 Time: 2010/03/23 00:00:04
 IP Address: 192.168.1.234
 Setting Screen: http://192.168.1.234/
 Running Time : 8 days, 13:07:58
[HDD Usage Status]
 RAID Array 1 Usage Rate : 891715340 kbytes / 1461815680 kbytes (Usage Rate 61%)
[DISK error status]
 DISK1  0
 DISK2  0
 DISK3  0
 DISK4  0
--------------------------------
RAID check notice
Target array:System field (md1)
RAID array check has started.
[TeraStationInformation]
 TeraStationName: TERASTA2TB (HS-DHTGL/R5)
 Time: 2010/03/23 06:59:31
RAID check notice
Target array:System field (md1)
RAID array check is complete.
[TeraStationInformation]
 Time: 2010/03/23 06:59:43
RAID check notice
Target array:RAID Array 1 (md2)
RAID array check has started.
[TeraStationInformation]
 Time: 2010/03/23 06:59:47
System Notification
Re-Started
[TeraStationInformation]
 Time: 2010/03/23 07:01:20

----------------------------------------------

I was able to access the drive after this, but sometime later in the day I could no longer use it.  

One other thing: there is a periodic clicking noise ... that's what drew my attention to it in the first place that day.  The clicks are about 8 secs apart.

Thanks!