Author Topic: Rebuilding and Firmware update on LInkStation Duo (LS-WX1.0TL/R1  (Read 4198 times)

takasami

• Calf

Hi. I am trying to rebuild LinkStation Duo unit with two new drives.

I followed the instruction on FAQ (3of5) to perform TFTP update using TFTP Recovery LS-WXL1.33 package, which appeared to have worked fine. At that point, the power lamp became sold blue.

I then tried to update the firmware (I think I need to do that; in any case, if I power-cycle the unit at this point, INFO/ERROR lamp blinks red, fast 6 times - 06, I suppose, but not described in the manual).

I downloaded ls_series-143 package, edited LSUupdater.ini file as instructed in FAQ (2of5) and ran LSUupdater.exe. It does come up and find the unit, though at an odd address (192.168.89.9, not 192.178.11.150 described in the FAQ). I bring up Debug dialogue box and check "Force Update", then click Update. I get the error message:

"Couldn't confirm a response from LS-WXL-EMDB9. please check a network address of both PC and LS-WXL-EMDB9".

"Update is aborted".

My PC and LinkStation is cabled directly on Cat-5 cable and PC's IP address is set at 192.168.11.1  My firewall is turned off.

How do you suppose is wrong with this? Is there another remedy for the situation?

Thank you for any help, in advance.

Tak

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: Rebuilding and Firmware update on LInkStation Duo (LS-WX1.0TL/R1
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »

I have purchased a LS-WX2.0TL/R2 at eBay which similar as yours.  Check:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/help-please/td-p/69446/page/2

takasami

• Calf
Re: Rebuilding and Firmware update on LInkStation Duo (LS-WX1.0TL/R1
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »

Well, as it turned out, version 1.43 firmware is a little bit more versatile.

What I wanted to do was take 2 x 500GB unit and expand to 2 x 1TB unit. I went through several different attempt using TFTP and lsupdate, with no success.

As it turned out, all I had to do was to replace one drive at a time. You first must delete RAID 0 array, which is the default in which the unit came. Remove one of the drives, turn it on. It will flash error, only because one of the drive (the new one) is not yet formatted. The unit is still functional with one original drive.

Run NASNavigator2 to find the IP address, and open the web setup page using your browser. Your existing password should work (not the default password unless you re-initialize the unit). System - Storage menu should indicate that the new drive is of 1TB (or whatever capacity your new drive is). You format the new drive in XFS format, which takes only a few seconds. You then power down the unit, replace the second original drive with the new one, then boot. Repeat the same procedure, and you should end up with the system with new drives, new capacity.

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: Rebuilding and Firmware update on LInkStation Duo (LS-WX1.0TL/R1)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »

OK

An easier way if the FW is not corrupted.

FW 1.43 has some terrible bugs.

glebealyth

• Calf
Re: Rebuilding and Firmware update on LInkStation Duo (LS-WX1.0TL/R1)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »

Very much a newbie at this and your posts and solution seem to fulfill what I want to do.

I have two drives, each of 500GB in my Linkstation.

I want to replace them with 2 * 2TB drives. I already have the data backed up on another device and have just updated the firmware to 1.57.

Can I ask you guys to confirm that the procedure to update my drives is as follows:

1. Delete RAID0 array.

2. Power Down.

3. Remove and replace one of the drives.

4. Power up.

5.Use NAS Navigator to find the IP address of the new drive.

6. Using Web Setup, format the new drive in XFS format.

7. Repeat from Step 2. with second drive.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.