Author Topic: Help! NAS won't boot. No tftp, no web interface.  (Read 5878 times)

garciara

• Calf
Help! NAS won't boot. No tftp, no web interface.
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »

I have Tera station HS-DHTGL/R5 that am at wits end. I have tried tftp a number of times. Re-flashing, which seems to do something to the NAS. The box says it is reflashing and restarts but it goes right back to EM mode due to a No Disk Array info.

For this model it is not clear to me whether tftp will be on 192.168.11.1 or 192.168.11.151 but I have tried them both, and there are no requests made to the tftp running on the PC for either setting. The firewall on the pc is competly disabled. There does not appear to be a physical issue because the unit can be pinged at 192.168.11.150. That tells me that the wire is good and the pc side ip also was set.

Right now the unit gives an E04. I have also removed each drive one at a time and that did not change the outcome in any way.

Is there some way to fix the array info table on a pc? I had this configured as a raid 5. It was 'stable' until there was a brown out that prompted a re-flash. Nothing worked after that.

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Help! NAS won't boot. No tftp, no web interface.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:09:49 AM »

E04- Not necessarily an issue with the Array, but more an issue with booting up. When the unit is booted into EM mode, it will not find the array (this is normal). Most likely if the unit lost complete power to it while it was running, there is a firmware issue (either the firmware itself or the flash chip or the boot partition on the drives). 

Does the firmware update ever finish with a message saying it completed?

The unit should reboot three times during the update, do you know if it does all three?

When you do run the firmware update, have you tried forcing the unit into EM mode by holding the reset button as you boot it up or just let boot into EM mode on its own?

What operating system is on your computer?

garciara

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:28:23 AM »

The unit does reboot at least twice. (perhaps 3 times) I can try it again.

It goes into EM mode on its own when it is done.

Are you suggesting forcing into a EM boot prior to the third reboot, which it is going to do on its own anyway? What does that accomplish?

Not trying to be a wise crack, I just want to understand the reason for this sequence.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »

no, I meant manually booting it into EM mode before updating FW...sometimes it has a different effect than if the unit tries to bootnormally but errors out to EM mode.

You have taken out one drive at a time... And did it always boot (even into EM mode) and does the same thing for each drive taken out, nothing different? If no, I want to say,try again and see if you can produce something different.

Try booting from Drive 1 ONLY!

Also try doing a Force Update with Deleting User Config (this option is found in the Debug Mode options).

Message Edited by kevin on 07-06-2009 07:54 AM

garciara

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »

I have tried booting into EM mode prior to FW updating. No change no web admin access.

I have tried forcing the update. No change, no web admin access.

I'll try the 'minus 3 drives' approach to see what happens.

Is it possible that the fw is corrupt to the point that it is not completing the writing of the new image OR could some how be the incorrect fw? It is peculiar that the updater does not display the version.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:21:17 PM »

garciara wrote:
Is it possible that the fw is corrupt to the point that it is not completing the writing of the new image OR could some how be the incorrect fw? It is peculiar that the updater does not display the version.

You have a HS-DHTGL/R5 which is a TS Live and the latest FW for that is version 2.14

Downloads, select TS Live

Try flashing the FW to three drives and see if it takes it.

At this point are you more worried about the data or the TS? Do you have this backed up?

It could also be a possibly failed Flash chip or SATA bridge.

mikets

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »

I think I have this exact problem. I don't see the conclusion to this thread. What was the final solution?

I have the honor to help a friend to fix his Terastation HS-DH1.0TGL/R5. Yesterday, there was a windstorm and the power went out for 3 seconds. After power came back, I got a call from my friend saying his Terastation's no longer working. It booted up with error E04. I went through this forum and have tried using the Updater 2.14 to "force" update the firmware several times. Everytime, it finished writing the firmware and rebooted a couple times and came back up with EM mode "No Array Info". Trying to access the Terastation through the web interface also failed. Thinking that disk 1 may be damaged, I replaced it with a spare 250 GB drive I have lying around. Update the firmware again with the new drive installed. Same thing. Anything I should try? My friend has all his family photos on this NAS and would be very upset if he loses them permanently. Unfortunately, those are the only copies he has on the NAS. So the highest priority is to recover the data on it.

mikets

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:23:30 AM »

Additional info:

I have also tried replacing only one drive at a time for all the drives (i.e. keep three old drives in their order but replacing one drive with the spare, re-updating the firmware) with the same result (EM: No Array Info). I have also tried booting with 3 drives (taking drive 1 out, refreshing the firmware. Again same result.

snh

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »

I do not understand why I should backup the NAS for reasons of equipment failure.  Is that not the point of a NAS (multiple drives)?

This week my Buffalo TS Live 1TB R5 unit (HS-DH1.0TGL/R5) is failing to boot in either normal mode or EM mode, and ingores the reset switch requesting a factory init.  Neither the NasNavigator (any version) nor TSUpdater can 'see' the NAS unit.  The PC is set to 192.168.11.1.  The wiring I'm using for these fix attempts is direct connection from laptop to NAS via the network jack.  All the display indicates is Booting and never completes.

The unit was purchased in Jan 2009, and has had one FW update to fix DST issue in 2010.

I have not yet tried the 'minus 3-drives' technique.  If it does boot to drive1-only, what then? Do I flash just that drive? If so, what then, as in do I reboot adding one drive each time or add in the rest or flash each individually?

Thanks in advance.