Author Topic: firmware update aborts - ls-ch1.0tl-v2 keeps changing ip address  (Read 6700 times)

xzero012

• Calf

hi all,

SPECS:

LS-CH1.0TL-V2

Firmware - no idea, experienced 6 red flashes

RED web interface

Windows 7 - tried it, failed

Windows XP SP3 and Windows XP (no SP installed) (using virtual box to communicate) - tried it on these operating systems

I experienced the 6 red flashes of doom. What I did was remove the drive and put it in a USB enclosure and deleted all the partitions so that it could be treated as a new drive. I put it back to the buffalo linkstation box and I am trying to force the firmware to update. I followed the steps in TFTP method to force my nasnavigator to detect it. I got that to work. So basically, I am able to communicate with my linkstation via using the 192.168.11.1 method and the LS would have 192.168.11.150. This is what NASNavigator would reports as its IP.

Whenever I start updating the firmware (LS-series-fw142_fwwin?.zip) and enable debug and force update, it would go ahead and proceed as such. In the middle of the process, the progress bar would slow down and the updater would complain that it can no longer detect the linkstation. Whenever this error occurs, I go back to NASNavigator and see the Linkstation's IP changes to 169.254.138.154. I would need to go back and hit refresh so that NASNavigator would change the ip back to 192.168.11.150?.

This goes on. Whenever its back to 192.168.11.150?, I would force firmware update, it would lose the connection mid-way, then it reverts back to 169.254.138.154 again. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong. No firewalls here. I don't have a spare machine with a real windows xp on it, so I'm just virtual ones which I have no trouble communicating with the linkstation as I am to use TFTP method and partially update the firmware on it. I just can't get it to finish.

It also complains on different instances.

Help!

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: firmware update aborts - ls-ch1.0tl-v2 keeps changing ip address
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

Try going into the .ini settings and changing the noformating = 1 to 0 and then going into the debug settings and choosing rebuild partion table, force update, do not check version and delete user config.

xzero012

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »

Thanks Jotin, but it wouldn't work. I've tried using Windows 7 so far and got these results:

?????Sometimes I get past this. Sometimes, it loses the connection before this part finishes.?

IF it does finish, I get this:

This never finishes. It will always lose the connection and LS would revert back to the 169 IP. It's frustrating.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »

I would try putting a brand new drive in it and try again. If that fails then something else is defective on this unit and it needs to be replaced. The fact that it is booting up and the IP is reverting back means that the flash failed.

xzero012

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »

Ok, I'll try getting a brand new disc and see how it goes. Thanks!

Shonk

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »

when it comes up in em mode

set your ip back to dhcp on the pc

and plug your nas into the lan so it gets an ip

close the updater and re-open it

you need debug enabled

and rebuild partition table ticked

you also need an unencryped firmware

e.g. with initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo

and not .img

as there's a bug in the updater for rebuild partition updates

and encrypted kernel/initrd

it should update fine then

xzero012

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:27:38 AM »

e.g. with initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo?

you also need an unencryped firmware

I don't get this part. I don't know where to download an unecrypted firmware specifically to my model. The firmware I downloaded came from the site, LS-series-fw142_fwwin?.zip. It has the initrd.img? and uImage.img? you did not recommend.

Shonk

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »

You can try it without

but it will need tftp booting a few times

after the partitions are rebuilt

it will reboot and error out again

tftp boot it

and dont tick rebuild partition this time

xzero012

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »

Some updates: I got a new 1TB hard drive.

TFTP'ed. Success. 

Followed Shonk's instructions to use DHCP afterwards. Computer IP got a 169. LS received a 169. I was able to communicate fine and all updates went through. I ticked rebuild partition on debug and enabled formatting. So far so good.

Afterwards, the updater gave me a message that LS was rebooting. It did nothing but 6 red flashes again. 

Nothing happens even if that finishes. I unplug the adapter and assign LAN to 192.168.11.1 again for TFTP. This is where I get stuck. I get just an orange or amber light. No flashes. Just a steady light. I searched the forum and read it only indicated that 1.43 update is available. So what I did was plug the HD to a USB enclosure and deleted all the partitions it made, placed it back to LS, and I was able to TFTP with no problems (led light is steady blue whenever I get a successful connection).

I redid everything using 1.43 updater. It goes on to say LS is rebooting, but I get the 6 red flashes again. Connecting via TFTP also resulted in a stead orange or amber light. A few idle moments, it reverts back to flashing blue, then a few more moments, back to 6 flashing red lights.

Shonk said it would error out again, and I should TFTP to it. It would go on to say the "Blocks Served" messages, but NASNavigator can't find it anymore even after pressing refresh a dozen times. 

Help!

xzero012

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »

Just tried again. It no longer gives the orange steady light, but the blue light flashes continuously even after TFTP gives blocks served messages.

Shonk

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »

Wipe the drive and all partitions in a pc

Use TFTP 1.43 here

http://www.mediafire.com/?r4ee4fkpv57ovd7?

Get Buffalo's 1.43 Firmware

unzip it

delete

uImage.img & initrd.img

Copy over uImage.buffalo & initrd.buffalo from the 1.43 tftp

edit

linkstation_version.ini & linkstation_version.txt

so the following lines match

FILE_KERNEL = uImage.buffalo
FILE_INITRD = initrd.buffalo?

edit LSUpdater.ini and add the following to it at the end

[specialflags]
debug = 1?

Follow my previous instructions

to repartition it and such

it  should work fine this time

xzero012

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »

Oh wow. Thanks Shonk. This post of yours nailed it. It's working now.

Shonk

• Buffalo
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 07:14:35 AM »

Np

Its a bug in the rebuild partition option

with encrypted images

I pointed it out to buffalo over a year ago

gsvs36

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »

Hi 

After 3 days i found above error is may be  with firmware only, actually the support team asked to send my system (LS-WXL285) back  to them .

But i tried last hope with the  nas dhcp given net work  ( like 169.254.76.39 )  to  my   network   (my pc  ip changed to 

169.254.76.10 ) ,then the firm ware 1.56  updated and working well.

ls-wxl/r1 SERIES   (LS-WXL285)