Author Topic: LS-C500L in EM Mode after Lightning Storm  (Read 8036 times)

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: LS-C500L in EM Mode after Lightning Storm
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 08:23:09 PM »

Hopefully the pasword was reset to the default, try password as password.

If not, read the manual:

Initialization - You can easily bring your LinkStation EZ back to factory
settings with the following steps.
1. Move the power switch to the ‘Off’ position. The LinkStation EZ will
shut down after about 45 seconds.
2. While holding down the function button, move the power switch to the
‘On’ postion. The function button will begin to flash blue.
3. While the function button is still flashing, hold it pressed down for six
seconds.
?

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »

Ha ha, thanks. :lol:
Password not working....tried blank, 1234, admin, password, and my custom password, and nothing worked.

I searched the manual for the work password, hoping to find the place where it tells me how to reset the password to default, but I did not search for the word 'initialization' (not sure how I would ever think of that word) or 'factory' (which would have been a smart thing to do).

Going to give that a try now...

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »

OK, I followed the instructions (to the letter), and after it fully booted back up, this is what I have...

It's back to exactly how it was prior to doing this procedure; I get a response from pinging the IP address, it shows up properly in NASNavigator, and the logon page for the admin interface comes up in the web browser, but I still can't log in. :(

Ideas of what to try next?

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »

I even tried it a second time just to make sure, and still...

I followed the instructions (to the letter), and after it fully booted back up, this is what I have...

It's back to exactly how it was prior to doing this procedure; I get a response from pinging the IP address, it shows up properly in NASNavigator, and the logon page for the admin interface comes up in the web browser, but I still can't log in. :(

Ideas of what to try next??

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 06:34:31 AM »

I'm going to add more info to the mix...

First, I am able to log into the admin web interface with a non-admin user account.
When I did that this time, I noticed something odd on the first page that came up (the 'home' page).
Here are the things that were displayed on that page...

Home

Warning
Back Fan malfunction.

LinkStation Name
CORRECT

Model Name
LS-CL F/W 1.07

IP Address
CORRECT

Current Date and Time
2011/7/15 6:32:52

HDD Space Used
Disk 1
360.74 GB / 458.10 GB (78.75 %)?

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:11 AM »

At that point, I noticed that the words 'Back Fan malfunction' were a hyperlink. So, I clicked it.
When I did, this is what was displayed on the page the came up next...

System Information

LinkStation Name
CORRECT

LinkStation Description
CORRECT

Model Name
LS-CL

Firmware Version

Current Date and Time
2011/7/15 6:29:14

Time Zone
GMT-07:00

Windows Network Workgroup Name
Workgroup

AppleTalk Function
Disabled

AppleShare Network Zone Settings
BLANK

FTP Server Function
Disabled

NTP Function
Disabled

Email Alert Notification
Disabled

Fan Status
Error?

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 06:41:44 AM »

Also, when I look at the NAS within the NASNavigator interface now, the icon for it in the upper pane has a red triangle with exclamation point.
Wen I hover my mouse over it, this is what's in the pop-up notification...

Hostname: CORRECT
IP Address: CORRECT
Size: CORRECT (78.7%)
Product Name: LS-C500L
Error: E11: Fan r.p.m. is unusual.

So, is there any way that this fan error could have anything to do with the fact that I can't reset the admin password?

...or any other ideas on what I could do to reset it?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »

Funny!

Maybe I was right at the very beginning.

Check my first post, message 2.

Try the resetting procedure several more times.  Maybe the password gets reset.

Check if the fan is rotating.  Maybe there is a bad connection to the fan.

If not successful, 

You can buy a LS-CH1.0TL-R for $70.00 at ebay, maybe the better idea.

Or you can try a real reset procedure (maybe just for fun) but be aware that something can go wrong and you could end with a brick:

Disassemble the unit, check: http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/2008/11/081112__disassemble.html

Attach the disk to a PC (Windows is OK), and delete all partitions in the disk. Connect the disk back (do not assessable until the unit is flashed)

Do a TFTP boot as described in the FAQ, and do a new firmware update.

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »

OK....so, since I can indeed get to the shares, maybe I should just get a good copy of all of the data, and squash it, and see if I can get it back in action that way.

Part of the problem is that the FAQ does not contain TFTP boot instructions for my model.

I think, if it comes down to squashing it, since I'm out of warranty anyway, I will most likely put a larger drive in it, and use an alternate firmware to make it mo betta.

ESCHER

• El Toro

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »

Ya know....I looked back again at your original response, and I don't know if you get this, but at that time, the shares were not available. I'm not sure what else in your original message you were referring to.

OK, now on to your latest message...

If I can't log into the admin web interface (which is the whole problem here), how do I "Go to EM-Mode"?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »

OCR14a wrote:

OK....so, since I can indeed get to the shares, maybe I should just get a good copy of all of the data, and squash it, and see if I can get it back in action that way.

Part of the problem is that the FAQ does not contain TFTP boot instructions for my model.

I think, if it comes down to squashing it, since I'm out of warranty anyway, I will most likely put a larger drive in it, and use an alternate firmware to make it mo betta.

What I don't see are EM instructions.  It would be easy if you can enter EM mode, bot I don't think it is possible in the actual state of you LS.  You already downloaded the latest stock firmware.

I suggest, do a good backup. Disassemble the unit, I have posted a link with pictures before. Insert a new o wiped clean drive (without partitions).  Maybe the largest one which will work is 1 Tb.

TFTP file is:

ftp://24.153.165.234/array1/share/nas-recovery/TFTP%20Boot%20Recovery%20LS-CL%201.00.exe

***** Usage Instructions ****** The Software is a self-extractor, so when the user click on file it will ask you      where to extract the files. The Desktop is a good choice, but anywhere will work. * Set the IP address on the computer to 192.168.11.1, and disable any software      firewalls on the computer.* Connect the computer and NAS to a switch or router. * Launch the TFTP Boot.exe. Make sure the software is "Listening On: 192.168.11.1"     If it does not you must stop the software and restart it. * Boot the Buffalo NAS into EM Mode. * It may take up to 60 seconds for the NAS to boot off TFTP and be detected by the      NasNavigator software (included in the extracted folder).* Once the NasNavigator utility "sees" the Buffalo, you can start the firmware update. 

?

Check FAQ2.  You should select rebuild partition table also.

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 07:01:06 PM »

Thanks.
I'm finally coming back after successfully replacing te old NAS with a new 'Live' model.
I managed to migrate all data from the old one to the new one. So, that part is out of the way.

Now....is there a technical reason to change the hard drive, or can I just do this procedure with the one that's in there?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »

I would check the disk SMART status or test it with the corresponding vendor utility.

Almost sure you disk is a WD or a Samsung.  If the disks passes the tests, which can last several hours, I would put it back.

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »

Well, I hve no reason to think there's anything wrong with the disk itself.
Are you suggesting that I check it simply because it's old?