Author Topic: LS-C500L in EM Mode after Lightning Storm  (Read 8031 times)

OCR14a

• Calf
LS-C500L in EM Mode after Lightning Storm
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »

I know there are other threads which are similar, but it doesn't seem like any of them is exactly what I'm dealing with.

We had a lightning storm yesterday (I know, it's probably over, but I try).   :embarrassed:

When it was starting up, while everything was still working just fine, I shut down the computer and the NAS and unplugged everything from them. Then, we had the worst lightning storm we've seen since we moved into this place 6 years ago.....actually hitting houses in the neighborhood....including at least a minor strike on our house (electricity jolting out of a power cord in the recording studio just moments after unplugging it from the piano, but it was still plugged into the wall). Anyway...

When I plugged everything back in and turned it all back on again, I couldn't get to my shares on the NAS. I tried to ping it, but couldn't recall the IP address I gave it the last time I reconfiged y home network in the spring.

I logged on as admin on my computer and fired up NASNavigator2 and it was silent. Then, I plugged the NAS directly into my computer with an Ethernet cable, and it found it. ....suddenly I recalled the IP address structure I used when I saw it in the details within NASNavigator.

I then tried pinging it, and it responded. However, I couldn't get into the admin interface via browser....it just doesn't come up. ...just gives me the usual error when it can't find the address I'm looking for, etc.

Also, in the details within NASNavigator, it says that the NAS is in EM Mode.

Other than taking the HDD out of the unit and checking it from a Linux system (which I know how to do, and have the resources to do if need be), is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this thing, and/or to fix it so that I can go on using it as normal?

I'm hoping that something just needs to be reset or whatever, but I can imagine it's just fried.

The things giving me hope are the fact that it is retaining TCP/IP configuration (and I can change that config with NASNavigator), and that NASNavigator is able to get the model series (displays as "LS-CL Series", IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and MAC address.

One more thing...
in NASNavigator, it's listed as follows: LS-CL-EM2B1

Any ideas?

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: LS-C500L in EM Mode after Lightning Storm
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »

So you recovered the data?

If yes, the easiest way to recover is to delete all partitions in the disk and TFTP boot.  Read FAQs at the at the beginning of the forum.

I am not familiar with LS-CL, only with LS-CHL so I cannot give exact details.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »
Just download and install the latest firmware for your unit. The data still should be in tact.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »

Thanks for the input...

@ESCHER
No. I have not yet recovered the data. I can't get to it through the normal means, and ahven't yet removed the HDD, though I could do that if need be.
As for the TFTP thing, I did look through the FAQ, but it doesn't have my model (or series) listed. So, I'm not sure which one to use.

@davo
OK. How do I update the firmware when I can't get into the admin interface via web browser?

?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »

OK lets try to update the firmware without disassembling.

Hopefully you donīt need TFTP boot.

Use this firmware

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/lscl-107.zip

This utility is called LS updater.  Web interface is not needed to update firmware. If the unit is really in EM mode, it should be a straightforward procedure.

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »

I have been told (by Buffalo) that I can't use that version of the firmware on this version of the device.
Can I get a response fro an actual Buffalo Tech person, or don't they come in here?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »

There are several hardwares.

Yours is the oldest one LS-CH (I guess).

Then there is a LS-CHL, LS-CHLV2, LS-XHL and LS-VL.

Find it yourself, go to this link:

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/

and select your model

LS-C500L LinkStation EZ™ LS-CL?

and you have the corresponding firmware

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:09:04 PM »

Sweet!
Thanks, bud.
I will give this a try and report back.

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 08:05:49 AM »

OK, now the problem I see again is that, in the past, I have been told by Buffalo Tech support that my NAS is too old for firmware version 1.07. However, the only other firmware version that's listed (1.02) only has a version for use with Mac while I'm on a Windows system.

What to do?

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »

I ran the updater, and this is what it displays (where you see the word 'CORRECT', that's just me sensoring information)...

BUFFALO LS-CL Updater Ver.1.07

HOST: LS-CL-EM2B1
WORKGROUP: UNKNOWN
IP-address: CORRECT
SUBNETMASK: CORRECT
MAC: CORRECT
Firmware Ver.: ----

?
I have not yet clicked the 'Update' button.
I'm wondering if something has changed since the last time I checked with Buffalo, and perhaps it is now OK to put this version of firmware on my old (first edition) version of this model.

I don't want to dork it up worse than it already is.

If I need to connect this thing to a Mac in order to put the older version of the firmware on it, I can do that.
Any ideas?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »

The latest version of firmware that we have for this device is 1.07, which you downloaded and the firmware can see the device. Now you just have to choose update. It should be fine as there is only that version of firmware released for this unit. The mac version is an old firmware and the newer version never received a mac updater. If there were two different versions that required different firmware versions there would be two different firmwares posted there for Windows.

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 06:07:14 PM »

OK, cool.
I will try it now, and report back.
Thanks.  :)

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »

OK, tried it and this is what I got...

LSUpdater
Couldn't confirm a response from LS-CL-EM2B1.
please check a network address of both PC and LS-CL-EM2B1
Please disable the Firewall function if it is working on PC.
Updating is aborted.

Do I really need to disable the firewall on my Windows 7 system?
I will try it if so, but I really don't like going without a firewall.
I suppose, if I need to do that, I will just take it offline first....meaning, it will still be connected to the NAS via network switch, but disconnect the switch from the router. I suppose I can give that a try.....will report back....

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »

I did it, and it seems to have worked.....at least partially.
The firmware got applied, and now the admin web interface comes up when I try to get to it, but I can't log in......old username and password no longer works.

OCR14a

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »

The shares are now showing up when I check from Windows Explorer, and I can browse them with my regular user account (yay!).

However, I can't log into the admin web interface, cause it's rejecting the username (admin) and password that I had been using previously.

So, is there a way to reset the admin password on this thing?