Author Topic: LinkStation Duo flashing blue light  (Read 5992 times)

Jool

• Calf
LinkStation Duo flashing blue light
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »

Hello,

Since two days ago I have something strange happening with my Linkstation Duo [LS-WXL/E?] : the blue light does not stop to blink on and off and I cannot see the linkstation in the NAS Navigator anymore.

I can still access the bittorrent GUI though.

When I try to do a force firmware update procedure the program cannot find my NAS on the network.

When I try to do a TFTP boot pocedure same, the machine does not send the packets.

When I read the tutorials it seems the IP  of my NAS should 192.168.11.150 but I am pretty sure it is not.

Indeed my bittorrrent Web GUI address is http://192.168.0.191:9090/gui/?

So, does any of you could help me make my NAS enter a proper functional mode again?

Thanks a lot!

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: LinkStation Duo flashing blue light
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »

Have you really tried a forced update:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-2-of-5-Force-Firmware-update-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/68108

If a forced update does not function, then try TFTP, but sometimes it is difficult to do because instead of entering in an error state the LS gets stuck trying to boot.  If this fails, the solution is to delete the files in partition 1 and 2 in both disks (where firmware is) but you shuld recover your data first (just in case).

If the partitions 1 and 2 are empty, then the LS gives an E6 error an after pressing function, it will look for the boot files served by the TFTP. 

Jool

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »

The problem is the Force Firmware update cannot find the NAS on the network?

How to fix that?

Jool

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:56:01 AM »

And also, how to recover the data?

Thanks.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »

So it guess the priority is the recovery of the data.

Which RAID level are you using?

With RAID 0 you need to attach both drives to a PC. 

With "normal", each drive has different data, attach one drive first and then the other.

With RAID 1 you have a duplicate set so attach one and in case something goes wrong you have a second chance.

You can use a recovery software called UFS explorer, just Google it., or you can use plain Linux.

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »

Another thing you can try before resorting to data recovery is to boot the unit into EM mode.  You can find instructions for how to do so 'stickied' at the top to this forum.

Try booting the unit into EM mode then try to flash the firmware.

Do take into account that the firmware updater and the Nas Navi software use the same process, so if one is running, the other one won't behave properly.