Author Topic: Can you preserve owner permissions when using NFS, or should I just give up?  (Read 3215 times)

tera_user

• Calf

Hi,

I am trying to configure NFS on a Terastation (TS-XL 470 4 Tb). The specs say it support the protocol and this is the main reason we bought the box. I have set up a NFS share folder and mounted it to a Centos 5.2  machine (which was difficult enough!) but now I see that when I save files to the NFS share on the Terastation all the owner permissions are set to nobody:nobody. The share is mounted as root on the Linux server by the way.  When I try to change file owner using the chown command I get an "operation not permitted error".

Is there a way to configure the Terastation to make it preserve Linux file permissions? If I could get access to the command line on the box itself I could fix this is 2 minutes by editing the /etc/exports file but from what I have read Buffalo does not allow ssh/telnet access and will void the warranty if you do get in - I see that there does seem to be a ssh daemaon running on port 22. The web interface is very limited on the other hand and does not allow all the normal NFS configuration possibilities that you would usually see. I cannot believe Buffalo say the Terastation supports NFS if the support is sketchy enough to not even preserve file ownerships, especially when the OS on the box is linux based. Without proper file permissions this box is useless as Linux backup solution.

Can someone help me please on this?

olvi

• Tatanka

I bought TS-III rack mount about 2 week ago.

1.10 version of the firmware promised update for this feature, but I do not see any difference compared to the previous version. 

Without a working NFS-server this device is expensive decoration to me.

I'm going to give one week time to fix this, then I have to return TS back to factory and find working device from someone else. This is sad because I have been waiting this TS-III rack mount over 6 months now :(

Colin137

• Big Bull

I will send up a feature request for you.

infoth

• Calf

I' glad to read that we are not the only one's who had the same troubles. We just aquired a new Buffalo TeraStation with 2 HD of 1TB and wanted to share files, which where uploaded by an unix system with windows users. The windows clients can read the files but can't overwrite them. :smileysurprised: All this files have a user- and group-Id of 99 and as you said, it seems that there is no way to change it. Why can't we access to the TeraStation through ssh?

olvi

• Tatanka

I agree. It makes no sense to restrict ssh or root connections. Or limit root access with sudo to do specific tasks, like editing some configurations :)

sunil5959

• Calf

Hi, I see these posts are almost 18 months old. I have a terrastation and still see the same issue.

If you would you know if a solution exist for the issue.

Best Regards