Author Topic: Just how long should it take 2 Recover? from an abrutp shutdown or ERRor?  (Read 3890 times)

RTShaw

• Calf

lost most control of my fingers, body, have constant spasms & tremors (post-polio) now throat Cancer ,so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type or move(but i ain't dead yet doggitt!)

?I'm been having greate fun with my new CS-WV2.0/1D? Cloud whatever pro  Already had a dlink dns-323 (2 of em) then got he dns-325 and saw the Buffalo uit and wanted 2 try it - well was almost drooling..

Lotsasier 2 setup even though i whined anyway i love thisthing..

I have many questions but one on my mostr prevalent is

Jus how long does it tae 2 recover from an error or formt a 2 TB hard drive?

1st tim arouhd i only had the 1 2TB dricve that came with the unit and whammo in the middle of a lightning storm and comcast shut down after the power came on i sw the flashing red idicator i olt had 42 gigs of ictures & videos but it took almost 12 hours 2 recover ... dog how long would it had taen if the drive was 1/2 full??

And can u  bypass the long waiting time by just poping out the drive & unformatting it?? then slap that sucker back in??

I'm ew 2 this cloud stuff so i'm ery inquisitine..  Does this unit store file access info in the private area of the drive and is there a proper way 2 restart after a failure of something that should be done first?

And if you have multiple cloud units does a user loginto each one or can they be setup as one huge unit?

Trying 2 determine how to get pastthat looong error / repair/refresh rebuild process.  Dof that could take a loong time..

**bleep** i love this thing! - "Shuffling off 2 Buffalo!"

Jotin

• Big Bull

Usually if the unit is unplugged suddenly it will come back on with no problems. Other times you might get an error i255. With this error you should just have to power cycle the unit a few times and it will go away.

If the sudden loss in power causes a RAID error the rebuild process should not take more than 4 hours per TB so you would be looking at about 8 hours of recovery time in that case.

If the power is cut and your unit ever boots into what is called EM mode, were the unit has an exclamation point over the icon in the Nas Navigator and the host name changes to have an "EM" in it then basically the firmware has crashed and this is a simple fix. You can download the firmware from http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads.

The flashing process is pretty straight forward. You download the firmware, extract the zip file and run the application. The application will find the unit and all you have to do is hit update and put in the password to the web interface which by default is password. The program will flash the unit and restore the unit to normal.

To set up a cloudstor account with access to multiple cloudstors you have to share out the files. You can share the files to the same email address that another cloudstor is set up with. When they log in to their cloudstor through mycloudstor.com they will see the files you shared with them under "files shared with me". This will be the same case when you access the "P" drive in Windows or your Mac. You can get the P drive by installing the pogo plug software on your PC and logging in with your cloudstor ID. You will see your local files and the files that are shared with you so you have access to all the cloudstors that are shared with you.

RTShaw

• Calf

Fantastic & Exactaly what i neeeded. i thank u

Jotin

• Big Bull

Not a problem. If you ever need help were always here to assist.

RTShaw

• Calf

after re reading this i had another wuestion

if u do get the exclamation pint how can u update or re install the firmWare? i re running the fimware util but it never found the drive since (by running my ip tool) the device isnt shown as mapped 2 an ip address  although the util shows the mac address of the device set at the ip i mapped it to..

ie 192.1686.1.6  notice the mac address at .9 is the mac address of the unit.  firmware doesnt see it. the drive is blank but blue indicator has been flashing (accesing?) 4 about 6 hours now

tried 2 stick an image of what the util saw but it said i was over 20000 characters?

?

Jotin

• Big Bull

If you do need to flash the firmware then what you do is you go to buffalotech.com/support/downloads , choose the cloudstor and download the firmware.zip file to your desktop. Once it is saved you will want to extract it and run the lsupdater.exe program. Once this is launched it will try and find any cloudstors that need updating. If your unit does not need to updated then it will not find it unless you enable the debug option and choose force update.

So you are saying that your unit's power light has been flashing for about 4 to 6 hours now and the Nas Navigator cannot find it? If that is the case then I would try and reset the unit. Here is the process.

Please switch the unit to off and wait until the lights are off.

Hold the function button for 10 seconds while it is still off.

While still holding the function button after 10 seconds please flip the switch to on.

Once the function light begins to blink release the function button and press it again for one second.

Wait until the power light is solid and this will restore your unit.

This process will not delete any data and will only restore the admin password and set the IP address back to DHCP.

The unit should boot up and have a solid power light and should be able to be seen with the Nas Navigator. It will most likely have a different IP address at this point.

RTShaw

• Calf

thank u.. tis is what i get 4 experimenting before knowing exactly what im doing espeially withthis memory/brainstem damage.,..

i ust cant  quit... had 2 see if the se HD204UI SAMSUNG    s worked then i went further by trying2 see if i could swap out both (had the one native & the smsung ihaave lety of those & a few of theative ones) the of course i was asked 2 check out another mfgs product too. dns-325 ) i was lookig more 4 somethinglike this buffalo (i have 2 reg servers web/ftp) since my mind is going so i wanted everything simple but jus tlike Murph's law thats not 4 me.

haha. experimet & testthats all i know but ibetter stop it.. hahaa

thank u

Jotin

• Big Bull

If you remove the drive that it comes with it will cause the unit to brick and be unusable. You will want to put the origonal drive back in to slot one and reboot the unit. This will restore access to the unit. That is probably why it has the unit is not booting and just showing a constant flashing blue light.

RTShaw

• Calf

it is the origional drive  back in ...

i shut the unit off per last msgsoevvidently it is taking that ong 2 recover? it weas empty after i remove but not erased it.

i'd think there'd be a way 2 formt the drives externally then plug em in but againthats me always gotta know cake..9 guess thisteaches me (probably wont) i'm 2 old, blind, weak, ill, a nut 2 continue.  im no longer the tech/eng i was.. like old cars with distributor caps.. by the way side..

wht u toldme as cool. all i gottado iscontinue waiting until te drive finally shuts off... that wat stasrted this0real0ly, a0 power failure and0 the drive nevr recovered. oh i hve more tricks 2 get me introuble like formatting a 1 tb hdrive ntfs or eventrying ext3 then let try that..

but im going 2 wait till te nastive drive settles and shuts off. the 1st rtime wheni 1st received the unit it took aqlmost 13 hrs and that wasnt a power loss . and why the wquestions about format time, what the leds did etc.

i have plewnty of time being bedridden  until monday (the more larnyx surgery uggg)

keeps my mind off weverything else..

thank u again your infdo was invalkuable. i'm positive i will correct this ansd obtain knowledge or short cyuts 2 help me with the other set. that 1st time when the system was rebuilding everything iu thought 12 hrt weas insane 2 rebuild 42 gigs and aqnothewr reson why i'd rather dork around now & find wverthing i need 2 know bgefore moving tons of files & videos over only 2 have probwems whwen the rest of my body wel the otherside goes paralized completely. then i wont be able 2 do squat! so dont think i regret any of this i dont. its really gonnsa be ZH... 2 maintain my nrtweork of 650-8 computers once more brainstem damage hits.. (i still do propritary work 4 many compaies and i can see thats coming 2 and end quickly haha)

Jotin

• Big Bull

Did you format those drives? If you formated the drives at all we will probably need to get you a replacement because you will not be able to get the unit working again. The reason being is that if they were were formated then the firmware is gone and the unit will not be able to boot.

RTShaw

• Calf

i cant do this im just foolin g myself. i cant purchaee a unit with the firmware ona removeale3drive thats insane and even wih raid1 there is no guarentee the data will be intact, its even a diff format. so if the  drive that comes wuith the unit goes just how would u recover?  replacing the drive wouldt bring anythig back since everything incvluding the firmware is on the 1st drive, wouldnt the entire thing have 2 come back 2 buffalo?

Can Anyone tell me just how tis would work? i'm trying hard 2 convince myself. and another reason 4 clear documentation.

i think i'll hold off till i get a better underrstandig of this..

Jotin

• Big Bull

You should be able to replace the drive if it fails as long as you have another drive in there in bay 2. But if the drive fails and there is just one drive in the unit then it will need to be sent back to us. You cannot replace both drives at once, just one drive at a time.