Author Topic: **linkstation mini fails to turn on** no LEDs, nothing  (Read 2449 times)

footers

• Calf
**linkstation mini fails to turn on** no LEDs, nothing
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »

Hi,

I've got a 2.5yr old mini that now fails to startup after a power cut I think it was.  Basically the unit couldn't have powered down properly.  I've had a replacement power cable from Buffalo but that isn't it.  I've taken it apart and with or without the drives installed I can hear a slight buzzing but nothing else.  When powered on I get zilch from it, no LED's no signifcant power up noise.  I had 2 500GB drives installed with Raid (mirror) setup.  I'm hoping at least one of the drives is ok and that it is just the motherboard that has failed.  Any suggestions on how I can get the data off these drives?  I've been quoted £400 from a data recovery firm, which I thought was a bit steep.  I'm better off buying a new NAS drive and swapping the hard drives over and fingers crossed it working.  The drives being 2.5" sata drives I'm not 100% certain I can just connect them to my PC and use something like UFS Explorer to read the file system.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

NinjaNAS

• Tatanka
Re: **linkstation mini fails to turn on** no LEDs, nothing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »

You should be able to use UFS explorer to get to your data as the format of the drives is XFS. You could also get a Nas of the same model and swap the drives to get to your data as well.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »

It should also be easy to recover the data with a PC running Linux (Ubuntu for example), but some knowledge is necessary.  Maybe you have a friend who can help.

footers

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 03:34:17 AM »

After posting yesterday, I did try connecting the drive directly to my win7 PC but the machine doesn't find the drive (via UFS explorer).  I went into the bios and checked the SATA drive was visible but that wasn't it.  The machine is just not finding the drive.  I can't believe both hard drives have failed completely at exactly the same time.  

I was thinking of buying a used mini and doing just that, swapping over the drives but wanted to exhaust all other possibilties first.  I've got a laptop which has a SATA connection for the hard drive but I then need to boot via a CD, which I can do but I'm just trying to find a suitable piece of software that will recognise the XFS format and give me options to copy the data over my network in order to recover it.  Any suggestions? 

footers

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:49:06 AM »

I've also now tried attaching the drive to my laptop and booting to the Knoppix CD.  I don't get the graphical interface but just the simple dos like menus but that's ok.  When browsing the file manager it doesn't find the disk and so I can't get an option to mount it and recover the data.  Does this mean the disc itself has a hardware failure or should I keep trying?  The only thing I am unsure of whether it is causing the drive to not be seen is that RAID1 was setup on the drive.  I've seen some notes about creating a raid partition in order to mount the drive but due to Knoppix not listing the drive I'm worried it's a hardware failure but surely not both hard drives at exactly the same time.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »

In Linux bash try  (as superuser)

parted -l

You shoud see something like this for yout Likstation disk:

Model: WDC WD10EADS-22M2B0 (scsi)Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GBSector size (logical/physical): 512B/512BPartition Table: gptNumber  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags 1      1049kB  1026MB  1024MB  ext3         primary       2      1026MB  6146MB  5120MB               primary       3      6146MB  6147MB  1049kB               primary       4      6147MB  6148MB  1049kB               primary       5      6148MB  7172MB  1024MB               primary       6      7172MB  992GB   985GB                primary      Error: /dev/mtdblock0: unrecognised disk label                           Model: Unknown (unknown)Disk /dev/md0: 1024MBSector size (logical/physical): 512B/512BPartition Table: loopNumber  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags 1      0.00B  1024MB  1024MB  ext3             Model: Unknown (unknown)Disk /dev/md10: 1024MBSector size (logical/physical): 512B/512BPartition Table: loopNumber  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags 1      0.00B  1024MB  1024MB  linux-swap       Model: Unknown (unknown)Disk /dev/md1: 5119MBSector size (logical/physical): 512B/512BPartition Table: loopNumber  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags 1      0.00B  5119MB  5119MB  ext3             Model: Unknown (unknown)Disk /dev/md2: 985GBSector size (logical/physical): 512B/512BPartition Table: loopNumber  Start  End    Size   File system  Flags 1      0.00B  985GB  985GB  xfs     ?

If you don't, then the disk is not recognized.