Author Topic: Permissions problem with DriveStation FlexNet 1TB  (Read 3758 times)

missjohnhurt

• Calf
Permissions problem with DriveStation FlexNet 1TB
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:15:11 AM »

Hi there, I have a DriveStation FlexNet 1TB, firmware 1.47. Working with 2 laptops, XP Home Edition Premium, SP1. LAN network router is Linksys WRT100. Wireless security protocol is WEP.

Drive is getting DHCP assigned IP address from router via LAN. I can access the device's web pages and using the device with a direct USB connection is mostly OK. I am attempting the use the device in LAN mode.

Problems:

1. LAN installation routine indicates a successful install, I can see the drive host ID on the network, however I do not have permission to browse the drive's contents via network. The drive's contents appear not to be shared. I have attempted to assign admin/admin as user/password. However, entering in (hostname)\user and password and any other combination is not accepted.

2. When trying to enable directory level password from the device's web page, I get a "General Failure" error code.

Have experimented modifying XP's handling of NTLM per Buffalo's KB#000001 article, however, behavior did not change.

Suggestions?

missjohnhurt

• Calf
Re: Permissions problem with DriveStation FlexNet 1TB
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 10:49:21 AM »

Additional product information:

serial #: 15506381013100

Model: HD-CE1.0TLU2-US

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »

Did you change the file system on this drive prior to enabling the LAN function?  The LAN function only works using FAT32.  If you made the drive into an NTFS or HFS+ volume, then it will not be able to be shared on the LAN.

Also, only the automatically created "SHARE" folder will appear on the network when LAN mode is active.  Sub-directory level permissions are not configurable within this share.

missjohnhurt

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:35:52 PM »
   Thx, Scott! Issue is NTFS. Bad news is that I have to use NTFS in order to run Norton Ghost ' cause it hangs up when writing multiple 4gb segments :( Oh well, looks like I'll have to USB the DS to a PC and share it that way.