Author Topic: TS Live - RAID5 Restructure after HD1 Failure - Lost large files  (Read 2398 times)

jfourman

• Calf

I had an HD1 drive failure on my RAID5 2TB TS Live (FW 2.14) yesterday and was forced to do a Restructure to rebuild the array. After the restructure completed, everything looked fine until I examined if I had lost any data. I discovered that the majority of files that were over 32GB in size were missing...however not all large files were missing. A file of 62GB remained and another of 32GB remained. In all, I lost about 10 large files. These large files are Norton Ghost Image backup files from our home computers. Fortunately, I have backups of these files on another TS Live and am now going through the all-day process of copying the files back over.

I had "Automatic Shutdown" enabled for "RAID Array Error Detection Response". I am really suprised to find that the RAID5 protection apparently isn't fool-proof. Is there something I don't understand about RAID5 and it's ability to recover from a drive failure on the TS Live?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: TS Live - RAID5 Restructure after HD1 Failure - Lost large files
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:26 PM »

I would flash the firmware on the unit (with the same version to overwrite any currption)

Also set the unit back to factory defaults from the web interface.