Author Topic: Linkstation Pro LS-XH2.0TL Login Problem due to firmware upgrade  (Read 3937 times)

qwerty

• Calf

Hi all, hope someone can help me.

The other morning my Linkstation had a flashing blue light. On rebooting it went into EM mode, and told me to upgrade the Firmware. I did this to v1.42, but now it won't allow me to log it. I can see the drive in NAS Navigator (v 2.25) but I can't access my files. I can get as far as the login page in my browser but my username and password are supposedly 'invalid'.

I would like to retrieve files I placed on the drive in the last 2 weeks, that I have not gotten around to backing up. Anyone know any other way to access the drive?

Thanks

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro LS-XH2.0TL Login Problem due to firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »

What firmware were you running before your unit went into EM mode?

qwerty

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:48:05 AM »

I don't actually know the version, whatever firmware came on it in Jan 2011, it was up to date then. 

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »

Most likely you were running firmware 1.40. That firmware had a bug that if your unit booted into EM mode and you flashed the firmware the default password would currupt. We can send you another unit through an advanced RMA and you can swap the HDD's in the unit to get back to your data.

qwerty

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »

That would be great, swapping the disks will fix the login problem? How do I go about the RMA?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »

It should yes as it will be a different box entirely. You can call your local support for an RMA. The USA support number is 866-752-6210.

qwerty

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »

thanks, I'm in Ireland, I'll call them tomorrow.

qwerty

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »

Thanks for your help Jotin, but I am getting nowhere with an RMA. Tech support want me to use ACP commander, and then use TFTP to get the unit going again????? and lose my files in the process. (Because "The warranty does not include personal data on the unit.?")

Coul anyone give me instructions on how to access my files using Linux? (and lose 18months of my warranty at the same time.)

NinjaNAS

• Tatanka
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »

I may not be able to help you with Linux but I cant help you access it with Windows. You could use a program called UFS explorer to get to the data. It should allow you to read the XFS format of the linkstation hard drive. But for linux as far as I know it just usually appears once you mount the drive.

qwerty

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »

Thanks, could you suggest a suitable dock to connect it to the PC? (as in is it SATA, what power source it needs etc) or can it be done using existing cables in a pc?

Also I can't find any instructions on how to remove the drive from the Newer Linkstation Pros, is it straight forward?

NinjaNAS

• Tatanka
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »

It is just a normal HDD so you could plug it into your PC. I do not actually have instructions on how to disassemble the drive. You might be able to search online for a disassembly guide.

qwerty

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »

Thanks again. Suprising can't find anything on the net about removing the drive.

I had hoped I get some advice from Tech support, but they weren't too helpful - which is ridiculous considering it is only bricked because I updated the Firmware like I was told and a firmware fault has locked me out of the unit.

Its bad business  from Buffalo - as I will never buy a Buffalo product again, and will make sure anyone I know will not purchase any of their products either.

hugogarro

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »

Hi,

I had the exact same situation: device with Firmware 1.40, goes to EM mode, one good morning for no reason whatsoever. Then I go to the forums to get an answer and they tell to simply reflash the unit with newest firmware (at the time 1.43). And now my Linkstation Pro LS-XH2.0TL will not take any admin-password (Samba, SFTP, FTP)

Let's say I have a back up of the unit or I don't care if information is erased, I just need it working again as soon as possible. What is the next step?

Should I try to force a firmware update to 1.52? Should I try to hex-update one of the files at one of the partitions?  Should I use this UFS explorer software (there is actually a Debian version, thank god) to change partition table? Should I try to mess around with this acp_commander.jar software mentioned before? Or Should I better call?

Thank you for reading my post.

qwerty

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 11:22:37 AM »

If you contact them over the phone they will email you the required files and instructions to get you up and running again if you don't mind losing the information on the drive.