Author Topic: Linkstation Mini formatted with Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)  (Read 18302 times)

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Mini formatted with Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »
The Linkstation Mini you refer to is a NAS device that can only be formatted in XFS. There is not a way (without voiding your warranty) to format these devices and install firmware that will work with a file system such as NTFS for example. We do not receive information as to when the next firmware release will be nor what it will entail in functionality. We submit as much feedback as we can to our corporate office who then pass it along to software development who then implements fixes as they're scheduled. Also, in the future if you have a PC running a Windows OS please post in a thread that is relevant to your operating environment or create a new thread. Thank you :)

Banjo

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 03:56:04 AM »
   Ok, thank you very much!

rsmarg

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »

In OS X and higher:

1. Open Finder
  2. Select main hard drive (likely Macintosh HD)
  3. Select Applications
  4. Select Utilities
  5. Select Disc Utility
  6. Find the Buffalo drive you're seeking to format.  Select top level (it will carry a generic name and total size of the drive.  There may be sub-volumes; select the highest level.  Mine read "931.5 GB BUFFALO External...)
  7. In right field select the Partition tab
  8. Under the Volume Scheme dropdown menu select "1 Partition"
  9. Select the "Options" button
  10. Select the "GUID Partition Table" radio button and hit OK
  11. Back at main Disk Utility screen, give the drive a name if you so desire in the "Name" field
  12. Under the "Format" dropdown menu select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
  13. Hit Apply

You can verify if this worked by returning to the Finder.  The drive should appear in the left toolbar under Devices.  Highlight the drive and then select Command-I to get drive info.  Under "General" the Format field should read "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)."

Hope that helps.

hyserure

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »

Thanks RSMARG, that was very helpful. Is it possible to format the Linkstation Live (LS-CH1.0TL) into TWO partitions? One with the standard formatting and one with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? The reason is that I need to create a Mac partition on my drive but I do not want to lose all of the files that I already have saved on it. 

Do you know if this is possible and compatible using Mac's Disk Utility?

Thanks again!