Author Topic: unble to boot LS-WVL into EM Mode  (Read 7733 times)

astreet

• Calf
unble to boot LS-WVL into EM Mode
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:03:29 PM »

I had go thru the FAQ (1 of 5): EM Mode boot procedures (please read this) [ Edited ]

but LS-WVL is not in the list hence I tried the luck to follow LinkStation (LS-CHL, LS-XHL, LS-WTGL and LS-WXL) but still not able to boot LS-WVL into EM mode

May I know how can boot this device into EM mode?

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
Re: unble to boot LS-WVL into EM Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »

The LS-WVL is based on the same hardware as the LS-WXL, and the steps to boot into EM mode for that model should work with your unit as well.  Make sure to power the unit down completely, then hold the Function button for at least 6 seconds (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, etc) and then continue to hold it while powering on the unit, when the power light is blinking blue rapidly, you can let go of the Function button.

astreet

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »

Yup. I have followed the step of LS-WXL which is turn the back toggle to 'off' from 'on'(I didnt pull out the power cable) then press the FUNCTION button for more than 6secs and turn the back toggle from 'off' to 'on'.

The power light won't on or even blinking but function light is the one which start blinking. I continue to hold the function button for more than 1mins or even longer then I let go the it. After I let it,  the power button then only on and start blinking rapidly but at the end it boot into normal mode.

It seems the way to boot LS-WXL into EM mode is not working for LS-WVL or should I pull out the power cable to test again?

kealii74

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:52:12 AM »

I'm having the exact same problem.  I've got the same model LS-WV2.0TL/R1, which went into EM Mode, so I was told by Buffalo tech to reinstall firmware, which I did.  Firmware seemed to install properly, but now it does not accept the admin password I had set, or even the default admin password.  So I tried to bring the device back into EM Mode to reflash the firmware, but NO LUCK, just like you.

Anyone...please?  I also need help with this.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: unable to boot LS-WVL into EM Mode
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »

Astreet, what is the reason that you are trying to boot into EM mode? As far as I know there really is no way to boot these in to EM mode. If the unit has an issue it should automatically go into EM mode. If it does not that is where the TFTP boot comes in. The TFTP boot will get the unit to boot into EM mode if your unit is not booting properly and then you can flash the firmware.

Kealii74, your unit needs to be replaced. I've seen this before and I've told Buffalo about it but I have not heard anything back from them. Until they release a firmware update to fix the issue then the the password issue will not be resolved.

astreet

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »

Im trying to reflash the firmware. I read somewhere that if I want to reflash the same firmware then I have to boot the uniti into EM mode and edit the LSUpdater.ini? and change VersionCheck = 0?. If TFTP boot is the only option for this unit, below is the intruction that I found from this forum and I dont really understand what does step 4 mention.

It is trying to tell me that boot the device using EM method? which mean I still have to go back to figure out how to boot this unit into EM mode?

1.        Directly connect your NAS to your computer via an Ethernet cable (crossover isn't necessary).

2.        Set your computer's NIC (Network Interface Card) to a static IP address of 192.168.11.1

NOTE: If you don't know how to change your IP address on your computer you can find out how to do that for Windows (XP, Vista or 7).

3.       Run the TFTP program for your respective NAS and have the files extracted to your desktop

4.       Boot the device using the EM walkthrough steps. Wait until it says E04, E06, or System Now Booting before going to the next step.

5.       Open the TFTP folder and run the program TFTP Boot.exe with the icon: TFTP program icon

6.       A command prompt similar to the one shown below should appear:

?

astreet

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:08 PM »
Can anyone help?

GreenBeret

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:47:40 AM »

your situation is much better than mine.

I can't get out of EM mode. I did lots of research, and know how to update the firmware, but the update program can't find my NAS after the first unsuccessful update. And the worst thing is I can't shutdown the NAS at all, I don't know if there's any way to restart it... I held the power button for over 30 seconds, but nothing happened. I don't want to unplug the power cable...

I don't know why the nas entered the EM mode while I was copying files, and force me to update the firmware.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:27:58 AM »

You do not need to boot into EM mode to flash the firmware. Attach the unit to your Pc. Once the Nas Navi finds the unit change your PC's IP address to be similar to the units IP just the last digit to be different. Then just modify the ini file to change version check to = 0 and add this section.

[SpecialFlags]

Debug = 1

Add that part at the end.

Then run the updater and right click on the top of the window and choose debug. Check force update and do not check version. You should be able to force the update now.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »

GreenBaret,

You should follow the same instructions I gave to the other person for updating the firmware. About your unit not shutting off, just unplug it. When you attach it to your PC reset it so the Nas Navi can find it. Then just follow the remaining steps.

astreet

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:40:29 AM »

thanks....