Author Topic: LS-CHL v2 Manual rebuild?  (Read 2416 times)

Muzzier23

• Calf
LS-CHL v2 Manual rebuild?
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »

Hey all,

I have been trawling the site for a few days before i decided to register / post.

I updated to 1.41 and it ran terribly, so i stupidly decided to roll back to 1.37 (mod1). Well, needless to say, it went panfully wrong and now i have a potential door wedge.

I have a fair amount of experience with programming and using CLI and flashing but this is my first time actually plaing with my NAS.

I got all of my data off the drive via Ubuntu, so im not worried about backup. I also (Possibly foolishly) deleted all the partitions and reformatted in XFS.

Here are the steps and results: 

NAS - LS-CHLv2

TFTP version - TFTP Boot Recovery 1.24 All 4 Models

IP address of my PC is static @ 192.168.11.1 (Tried 2 seperate PC's)

Connected trhough router @ 192.168.11.254 (Also connected directly with exactly the same results)

1. Boot up the unit (Red lights flash)

2. Hold function button (Lights flash blue fast)

3. Start TFTP of $kernel & $initrd from 1.37Mod 1 (Files are sent to 192.168.11.150)

4. Unit goes into EM mode with Solid blue light.

5. Open up LSUpdater (modified ini to allow debug mode) and IP always shows as 169.254.xxx.xxx with subnet 255.255.0.0

6. When i try to give the unit a static IP, a box pops up and asks me if i want to change the address, i click yes

7. I get a message waiting for response followed by "Counldn't change the IP-address (0xFFFFFFFE)

8. The address again defaults to 169.254.xxx.xxx

9. Tell the unit to get address from DHCP. Same result as step 7.

Obviously because the NAS has a null address, i cant send an update to it.

I am now thinking i have royally screwup it up??

I have tried different firmwares, all for the LS-CHL v2 (1.34, 1.37, 1.37mod-1, 1.40 and 1.41) and the only one i can have some success with is the 1.37mod-1.

Hopefully it can be recovered? If i have to manually rebuild the drive that would be ok if i knew the procedure.

Thanks in advance folks!

Muzzier23

• Calf
Re: LS-CHL v2 Manual rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »

Really.............. nobody can help???

momoman

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »

I always receive an error message when my LS-CHL trying to get an IP by DHCP . with Windows XP 
But the address is still assigned.
Maybe the bug comes from your DHCP server ?
What is your OS?

Muzzier23

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »

Thanks for momoman,

I am using Windows 7. I have tried pinging the NAS and that fails. I have also used a program called Angry IP Scanner to scan the whole IP range just to make sure thats its not hiding on the network somewhereand that too shows up nothing.

Just to rule out the DHCP server issue, i used an ADSL modem with built in DHCP that i had knocking around and the issue remains.

I think it will end up in the bin at this stage which is a pity as its only 13 months old.

Is there any way to jtag the flash chip as i believe that may be the heart of the problem.....

P.S. I am a network engineer, so if you have any tech solutions, dont be afraid to throw them my way.

Thanks for the response!!

momoman

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »

Normally Fixed blue LED means  Boot OK

But perhaps WatchDog does not monitor the network initialization.

Have you tried :

- With a crossover cable (I know this is trivial)

- Analyze IP traffic with Wireshark to see if the Buffalo network card  sends requests

Otherwise, you have to find the serial connection and tame the Buffalo..
Unfortunately I've never tried the JTAG method so I can not help you

Muzzier23

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »

Thanks again Momoman,

Ill try the crossover now. I just gotta make one up.

I have noticed that in the router, the address shows up as 169.254.xxx.xxx and i can ping the unit on that IP constantly using -n 8000 for example. Great ping response. Is there any way of using command prompt or maybe terminal to manually upload the FW to flash?

I have set up a static IP preference on the router so that the mac of the NAS will be registered as 192.168.11.150 (Or similar) once the unit request an IP but it actually seems that the NAS will not request DHCP nor a static IP manually.

I will try monitoring the traffic to see what (If anything) is happening. If not, ill pull out the soldering iron eh!

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate the help.

Muzzier23

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:13:11 PM »

<mac address>Broadcast ARP Gratuitous ARP for 169.254.206.96 (Request)

This is the update from Wireshark so i guess there is something seriously wrong that the unit keeps requesting 169.254.xxx.xxx

Can i get an RMA considering i opened the device to format the drive??

Im Sure i have fooked this up :(

momoman

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »

For link-local addressing IPv4 uses the special block 169.254.0.0/16
(IPv4LL) only as a last resort when a DHCP server is unavailable.(Wiki)

I think the ARP request is a hardware function because I have several different brand of NAS with a bootloader or even the whole firm erased
(I hide a weapon of mass destruction firmwares) and they all perform an ARP request to 169.254.x.x but they are unable to listen to the response of the router because apparently listen it is the job of the software.

If I understand correctly
If the NAS does not receive anything, he will miss the DHCP supplied by router
So the hard will cause an ARP request and is also unable to read the answer

Muzzier23

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:39:17 AM »

That sounds like a plausable explination momoman.

So does this mean that there is no way to get the unit to accept a static IP? Maybe the Jtag will be my next step. I have alot of reading to do on this now!

Thanks for your help momoman. I think i was reading / translating some of your threads on a seperate forum recenlty. German, I think I remember?

momoman

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:58 AM »

Only my French is good, but I often use Google Translate .. if you read my post translated from French into German and then you translate into English the result should be fun.
Good Luck with the JTAG Muzzier

dickvr

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »
Hello Muzzier, I did exactly the same as what you did. Did you find a solution yet? Greetings Richard