Author Topic: Transfering Data to New Buffalo Cloudstor Pro  (Read 1638 times)

zphafman

• Calf
Transfering Data to New Buffalo Cloudstor Pro
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:58:22 PM »

Hi, All -

I'm a first time poster and total novice - I just bought the Buffalo Cloudstor Pro (2TB) so I could have a home network (basically, a shared drive) for my various computers (mine, wife's, kids, etc).  

Here's my question - over time I have accumulated over 1TB+ worth of "stuff" on various external hard drives... my plan was to transfer all of this to the Buffalo Cloudstor Pro drive.  I have a DSL line (11mbps), have plugged the drive into my wireless router, and have downloaded the PogoPlug software.  Even with this, the first file I tried to transfer (about 32 GB) took literally 10 hours to complete.  I'm sure the access / transfer rate will be fine once I get all of my data on the drive initially... but is there some more efficient way to get it loaded up to start with?  Via a hardline or something?  I see there is a USB port on the back, but from reading posts on this board I don't get the sense it is for connecting a PC directly.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated... THANKS!!!

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Transfering Data to New Buffalo Cloudstor Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »

Yea actually there is a better way. You can access the drive locally through Windows instead of going through mycloudstor.com. You only want to use Mycloudstor.com when remote. You will want to map a drive to the \\IPoftheunit\Public to transfer the data locally and not have to go through the internet. You will get about 40-72MBps this way if you have a gigabit network.