Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Quad 8.09 TB  (Read 1133 times)

Webdevii

• Calf
Linkstation Pro Quad 8.09 TB
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »

I am a new user to the Linkstation Pro Quad 8.0 terabyte system.  Initially the first unit I purchased worked fine until my Router (FiOS ActionTec model MWi424WR did not stand up to the heavy data transfer, I have since made arrangements with Verizon to allow me to use my own router which is Netgear N750 WNDR-4000. 

The problems I was having with the Actiontec is it was dropping the port forwarding setting and causing the NAS to corrupt.  I RMA'd the Linkstation, received the new unit.  This time when I went to load it (back up my PC) I set up a static IP address between the PC and NAS, with a direct connected Cat6 cable.  The throughput improved considerably, and eliminated 99% of the file copy errors.   I suggest this during the initial backup process.  Once the process is complete I will set the NAS back to DHCP and use it as normal.

By using the Static IP configuration I was able to eliminate the copy issues and completed loading in about half of the time.

To do this I logged into the NAS, went to Network and made the static IP changes there, on the PC using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  I opened up Network and Sharing center and modified the TCP/IP iv4 settings to use IP address of 192.168.1.50, for the NAS I set the IP to 192.168.1.51.  Then using the NAS Navigator 2 software was able to access the NAS and do the load.  I highly suggest not doing large transfers, instead what I did was do 30 to 40 gigabyte batches at a time. With that I had my entire collection upwards of 4 Terabytes of data moved over.  The process took about 5 Days, i usually did these in the early AM when tempertures were below 70 degrees F.  Reason behind this is to keep the unit cool thus improving performance.

Want to know more, feel free to contact me

Dev