Author Topic: LS-WX2.0TL/R1Linkstation won't boot after power outage - blue power LED flashing constantly  (Read 1881 times)

emace

• Calf

We just had a very stormy day in my area and power went in and out a number of times while I was away from home. Since returning I have noticed that I cannot get my NAS to power up properly and I fear that the chassis has been compromised - I'm hoping that the data on it is still intact. When power is applied, the blue power LED blinks constantly and the unit is not reachable on the network. With the power supply connected to the unit, moving the power switch to the "OFF" position does not have any effect - it simply sits there blinking the power LED.

I have a couple of questions in regards to all of this. First, is there any way to boot the device into a test mode so I can see what might be messed up? At this point, I can't communicate with it at all and I have tried to revert it to the factory defaults (turning on the power switch while holding the Function button) but all that does is make both the Power and Function LEDs blink forever. I just want to be able to get some indication of why the unit will not complete the boot cycle.

The  other question that I have is how do I get a new chassis without having to purchase a whole new unit? I'm hoping that the disks themselves are okay (I've been operating as a RAID1 array so I have some redundancy) and that the worst that's happened is the disk controller is shot. The problem is that I've not been able to find much information about getting just the chassis. I've read much of the stuff on this site about getting an RMA but I've owned this unit for a couple of years now and I doubt that I could find the proof of purchase paperwork. I did register the product when it arrived but I doubt that I am still in warranty. I just want to get a new chassis but I can't seem to find a way to do so.

Please advise.

Jotin

• Big Bull

I would try FAQ 3 of 5 to get the unit to boot up to the point were you can flash the firmware on it. Also this is the proper reset process if you want to follow it.

Please switch the unit to off and wait until the lights are off.

Hold the function button for 10 seconds while it is still off.

While still holding the function button after 10 seconds please flip the switch to off.

Once the function light begins to blink release the function button and press it again for one second.

Wait until the power light is solid and this will restore your unit.

This process will not delete any data and will only restore the admin password and set the IP address back to DHCP.

emace

• Calf

Jotin - Thank you for your suggestions but I've not had any luck getting the unit to boot. I've tried the process you mentioned but it never boots fully leaving the NAS in a state where the Function and Power lights blink alternately, seemingly permanently. I have also tried to boot it into Engineering Mode without success. I've even continued on to the FAQ and tried to perform a TFTP boot but the NAS never makes a request to the attached computer.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but when the unit is attempting to boot (power light flashing) it cannot be powered down simply by moving the power switch to the "off" position. The only way to completely power the unit down is to disconnect the power cord. Is there anything else I can try to reset the NAS to factory default or any other way to boot it into a diagnostic mode?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Jotin

• Big Bull

If the TFTP boot fails then you will want to contact support and have them walk you through the TFTP boot. If it fails to fix the issue then the unit will need to be replaced.