Author Topic: Are these older NAS products compatible with Windows 7  (Read 1593 times)

mcf57

• Calf
Are these older NAS products compatible with Windows 7
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:31:18 AM »

I'm looking to possibly get one of these older Buffalo NAS drives. Specifically, the following:

• Linkstation Quad LS-Q1.0TL/R5 (4 bay serial) 
  • Linkstation Pro Duo LS-W1.5TGL/R1 (2 bay serial)
  • Drivestation Flexnet HD-CE640LU2 (1 bay USB & NAS)

Had a few questions about both & don't see the answers in the manual:

• Are these NAS drives & their software compatible with Windows 7 (64bit)?
  • What is the maximum hard drive size each bay can handle?

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Are these older NAS products compatible with Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »

They are all compatible with Windows 7. The software might not be compatible with 64 bit but the units themself will work. We do not support upgrading the size on the units but the LS Quad can handle 8TB, the Pro duo can handle 4TB and then Drivestation can handle 1TB.

mcf57

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »

Yea, after I made this post, I was actually able to contact someone directly at Buffalo. They explained to me that the firmware for these multi-drive units is on the drives themselves. Therefore, upgrading ANY of the hard drives would require restripping across EVERYTHING. And data would then also be lost if you did this.

Due to this, these might actually not fit my needs. I was looking for something that would allow me to easily upgrade one of the drives if needed. I am new to RAID configurations, but I understand that depending on which RAID mode I am using, removing one drive could affect others. I guess if I have it in RAID 0 (I think), that would mean all drives store data independantly from each other and upgrading would be the easiest (and storage would be maximized). This is probably what I was looking for.

I have an older Buffalo Drive station (500GB) and it has been working great compared to some other brands I have purchased. Therefore, I was hoping to maybe get another. Is there a Buffalo NAS product (not USB only) that can allow for easier swapping of internal drives? Or do most of Buffalo's products store the firmware on the actual drive itself and you have to be careful?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »

It is possible on our Nas's but it is not something I can support being a mod on this forum as it voids your warranty. Another user may be able to help you out with that though.