Author Topic: Can not access my hs-dh500gl-r  (Read 2897 times)

Pablo

• Calf
Can not access my hs-dh500gl-r
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:23:20 PM »

It's been running fine for quite some time (bought it in May).  Last night I tried to refresh my MP3s (after loading a few CDs for new years), and it started beeping.  Now I can not access it at all.  Right now I have it connected directly into my iMac (tried both under mac OS and an NT partition I have), but it does not see the drive (I'm using an ethernet cable because I don't have a USB-USB cable). I also tried it connected to an NT laptop (the one I used to install it at first), but it could not see it either.   Previously I had it connected to my linksys N router.  When I try to install the software it says it can't install (first it displays a bunch of strange characters then says 'cancelled or an error occured').  I've tried to ping it with assorted addresses to no avail.  I also found something about force flashing, but when I tried that, it couldn't find it, so that didn't do anything either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (I would really like to get my data).

Thanks.

Paul.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Can not access my hs-dh500gl-r
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:36:53 AM »
First try to flash the firmware on the unit.  Then do a hard rest to the device, (this will not cause any data loss).

Pablo

• Calf
Re: Can not access my hs-dh500gl-r
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »

My problem was that I couldn't see the linkstation at all.  So when I tried to flash, it had nothing to flash.

I did happen to figure it out on my own (after a hundred scans of the forum).

What I did was to do a reset to the linkstation (press the reset while turning it on).

Then I hard coded the IP address on my machine to 192.168.11.10.

Then I was able to update the firmware.

But.... Then it came up in Japanese, so I browsed to 192.168.11.150 which gave me the menu and clicked around until I found something that looked like the language and was able to change it back to english.

It would be nice to write up a new "sticky post" that would give the procedure (with pics) to be able to do this in case of a total crash (it was a combination of posts and trial and error that lead me to a solution).

Thanks for the help though.  I now have a post about using the PS3 as a media server (added to the existing one requesting info).