Author Topic: Terastation Pro II language setting/corrupt firmware?  (Read 3081 times)

CliffB

• Calf
Terastation Pro II language setting/corrupt firmware?
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »

Hi everyone. yesterday I had to turn off my TS-HTGL/R5. On powering it up it was booting into EM mode and complaining of lack of array. I've been doing my best to follow forum posts which suggest flashing the firmware and have had a lot of problems - failures to find the unit, firmware flashing erros, I had to boot using tftp (and FINDING the current ftp site for the tftp file was unexpectedly "fun") and so on and so forth.

So - I've reached a point, after chasing my own tail round and round in circles, where the NAS has actually booted up AND is responding to http requests to it's chosen ip address (192.168.11.150). I can even connect to \\192.168.11.150\share - though my 2tb of data isn't there :(

I am HOPING that I can reconfigure the device using http, but am stumped by the lack of English language. I've found 2 ways of changing the device to English (one in a FAQ) but it doesn't appear to apply to what I am seeing. FWFW here are images showing what am actually presented with:

top of page

and if I scroll down, to see the bottom of the page:

bottom of page

The only items that seem to be selectable are the orange area in top-right, the 2 text boxes, and the button below and to the left of the text boxes. There aren't any other obvious "options" at this first screen, or any images of pages being turned.

I'd really love to rescue the 2tb of data on this device - can anyone help?

Thanks,

Cliff

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Terastation Pro II language setting/corrupt firmware?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:55:47 AM »

You need to log in first using your username and password and then follow the FAQ post.

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:55:19 AM »
Ah! Thansk - logging in to the terrastation was the step I was missing (so that button must be "Login"!). FAQ 5 has some images where the reader is indicated to do thing s"like this" but alas the images don't show up - just triangles. But thanks to your help, the Terastation itself seems to be working. However, it's imagining that the dives are "spanned" and showing no contents. If I try to experiment by changing the RAID type it warns me that it will delete any and all data - not my ideal. Is there any way to recover the data I had on the drives before this device went insane (and nearly took me with it)? Cheers, Cliff

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »

Are you not able to access the data on the unit through Windows? How about FTP? You could also try doing a back up to an external USB disk. I think you need to create a new RAID. Hopefully you can recover the data here.

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »

Nope, not a thing. Here's a screenshot using Windows Explorer showing nothing (which also shows that I used to use it on a different ip address):

explorer

I have never tried to access the unit via ftp - so it doesn't much surprise me that this attempt failed:

failed ftp

Not sure how I would go about backing up to a usb disk - I don't have a 2tb one and it seems to me it would backup...nothing?

Thanks for your continued help :)

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »

I decided to set it to a fixed ip address of 192.168.0.111 to make going back and forth between it and everything else easier. Now it's vanished :(

I have power cycled it, and it says it's IP address is "192.168.0.111 F" but I can't http it at that addy and NAS Navigator2 can't find it either :(

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:24:44 PM »

OK-one reset button later...

As you can see, the unit is convinced there's no data :(

nodata

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 12:54:22 PM »

Yeah, it shows that the unit is fully functional... Did you happen to allow it to format during the TFTP boot? At this point I think that data recovery would be the best route to go from here.

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »

"allow it" isn't necessarily a term I'd use, and I don't recall it taking 2tb of formatting time... but I think I DID see "format". No choice seemed to be available, and it seemed quick enough that I assumed it was to do with erom or something...

So, I'm looking at building a PC with Linux and putting all 4 drives in to try and recover, huh? I really wish the firmware update fix hadn't forced the tftp issue now :(

thanks for your help!

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »

"At this point I think that data recovery would be the best route to go from here."

Agreed, and I am slowly trying to take that route - buying up hard drives like they were going out of fashion to backup the original Terastation drives onto so that I don't inadvertantly damage the data any further.

I have so far backed up all partitions on all drives (awaiting more drives so I can make backups of whole drives too) so that I can work on the partitions that the Terastation has re/created in getting it working again. At least this has shown that there's no actual hardware fault with the drives.

However, I would appreciate some help in rebuilding the data, help that can PROBABLY only come from Buffalo, as you know more about how your hardware works than anyone else does/can. There don't appear to be any superblock in the first data partition, which suggests that the Terastation may build the array each time it boots.

1. Can you confirm this?

2. The drive says it is "spanning". Can you possibly confirm what RAID level this is?

3. I suspect that my drive was reformatted with RAID level 0 for speed, back when we bought it. Is there any way to determine what the RAID level was before recovering the Terastation reformatted the unit? For example, if "spanning2 isn't the default RAID level, would this sugegst that "spanning" was the level in use before reflashing the Terastation?

Many thanks for your help. I've now got 4 seperate drives which need to be recombined, and I have a spare x86 and Linux to do the job with, but it would be terribly helpful to have "missing gaps" in the data available.

4. Like, potentially, what the 5 partitions per drive are used for/contain (obviously the last partition on each drive is the data, as it's the big one! But do the others hold any data - however cryptic - that could help the data recovery process?(

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 07:24:56 AM »

5. Which reminds me - what RAID level (if any) is it that the Terastion Pro II calls "spanning"?

Thanks,

Cliff

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:05:52 AM »

6. Perhaps you could tell me what chunk size a 2tb Terastation Pro II uses?

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »

Hello?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »

This isnt something I can help with. The unit calls spanning RAID 0. I do not know the chunk size. You cannot find out the previous RAID level the unit was at at this point but they come default as RAID 5. I really can't help with data recovery because I dont know how to recover the data from a RAID like this, which is why I suggested data recovery.

CliffB

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »

I'm surprised RAID 0 is called SPANNING - I'd have thought RAID0 would be called STRIPING and JABOD might be called SPANNING. You live and learn :(