Author Topic: Password Problems... yes another  (Read 3396 times)

RoyalGreen

• Calf
Password Problems... yes another
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »

OK... Well that was a long description which didn’t send... let’s try again.

I have a LS-WV4.0TL/R1. I have a lot of grief with this device, for example it enters EM mode fairly regularly I have become quite proficient at flashing the firmware to restore functionality. To help prevent the fragile darling having any surprises I bought an APC UPS to avoid the consequences of the occasional powercut.

Initial Symptoms.
At 12:30 today the device powered up but the blue power light just steadily flashed. Nothing else happened, no hard drive chatter.
This was a new problem so I tried a suggestion on forcing it into EM mode and flashing the device.
From being powered off I held the function button then powered the device up. The function light flickered and device powered up. The NASNavigator2 reported that the device was in EM mode. Firmware read ‘—‘.

The new problem
So I flashed the device with 1.41. Which successfully completed. The device asked for the admin password, which I entered only this time the dialog read the password was incorrect. So I tried ‘password’. Again ‘password’ incorrect, tried just using a blank box no joy.

Now I know the password, this isn’t about me forgetting the password as I had just been in WebAdmin earlier in the morning reviewing the UPS features.
So im in a situation where I can’t access the device, via WebAdmin or Explorer. I can’t reflash the device as the firmware flash needs a password to initiate, even forced or with the ‘Delete User-Config’ option ticked.

I can’t get the device back into EM mode to flash the firmware again in an attempt to bypass whatever password its now using.

I tried unplugging the device 4 times when booting as suggested by Buffalo, but that did nothing other than cause the array to degrade…

What can I do? I’m a reasonably technical person, but at the end of my tether with this device.

It’s 22:45 now and I just spent the best part of another Saturday trouble shooting this device. What is the definitive method of getting this device to enter Emergency Mode. I have read the FAQs but they refer to different devices and don’t work.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Password Problems... yes another.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
You could please repost?

RoyalGreen

• Calf
Re: Password Problems... yes another.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »
Hope that helps identify the problem.

Bullitt659

• Calf
Re: Password Problems... Yes another.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:38:23 AM »

I have a exactly the same problem with my LS-CHL & if you check the forums so do a lot of others. I have given up for the weekend.

I think Buffalo need to address the problem of what to do when all their solutions fail. I have a perfectly good Linkstation with all my data on that I can't access & although most of it is backed up some of it is not. It is just infuriatingly annoying.

RoyalGreen

• Calf
Re: Password Problems... Yes another.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:49:56 AM »

Hi there,

I have read a lot of feedback on this issue, this post had 16 pages worth of comments. Although none of the people with the issue had my precise model.

In this chat, a mod called Kevin appears to have offered a link to the answer in post 20, the chap with the problem appears to have followed the link and got his box working again. Yet the link Kevin recommended is no longer available to view.

The truth is the ProDuo is a great device, yes it’s temperamental, but as long as I can recover it, I can put up with the tantrums. I wouldn't RMA the device for a hiccup, plus i have 2TB of sensitive data on the drive, including passwords, business cases and financial information. I wonder if there are specific instructions to get this model into EM mode, where I understand it will bypasses the password? I guess that in EM mode i could flash the device again and hopefully overwrite whatever password it gave itself.

This really is an issue and I have tried to offer evidence of the processes and describe the symptoms to help Buffalo identify the issue for the benefit of their product and community.

RoyalGreen

• Calf
Re: Password Problems... yes another
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:20:30 AM »

This guide about entering EM mode doesnt include the LS-WV4.0Tl/R1

So I tried the instructions for the LS-WXL I held the function button down for 6 seconds powered on, let go and held again until the function light stopped flashing. It didnt stop flashing so i held it down until the device booted.

NASNav said the device was initiating, but it never completed.

Apart from causing more power outtages to the box, which cant be good how do i get this device into EM mode. No guides seem to cover this model.

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »

If you can not access EM mode by pressing the button function.
Try.
Turned on power without pressing any button. When power led flashes more than 1 minute to disconnect the power by pulling out the power cable. (do not switch off) Plug Power again if within 55 seconds, power LED still blinking, unplug the Power and plug again Do this until the unit's power led is constant the unit is on EM.(Can see on NAS Navigator software)

RoyalGreen

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:09:58 AM »

Hi Thaitawat, thanks for the advice. I have read the same about pulling the cables and i tried it a several times but the device booted up as normal. Then the array broke and i dont think ill be doing that again :smileywink:

As an update, i called Buffalo tech support UK this morning. I have to say they are very good, i explained the entire process and what had happened and the chap reported that it was a known issue with firmware 1.41 with my device. They have apprantly pulled the firmware from their site since. Although i can still see it on the site.

Anyway he is sending me an email on how to get the device into EM mode. I pray there is no mention of pulling cables... I cant believe thats any good for the array.

Email has arrived... and its all about unplugging the device at a certain time during boot! Yet this email includes specific instructions. I will repost for the benefit of community once the device is fixed or even more likely broken.

RoyalGreen

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »

The problem was that the 1.41 U.K. firmware was faulty. It applies a password and prevents access. You can enter EM mode by switching the device on and off during boot and you can (with a lot of fuss) roll back to 1.40, but the password is still applied preventing access.

Tech support have confirmed this via email and telephone and the device needs to be RMA. Unbelieveable.

jkmbaum

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:22:25 AM »

I am also having the same problem. after updating to 1.41. I tired to reset default without any luck.

Resetting worked before update to 1.41.

RoyalGreen

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »
@jkmbaum I think this is a common problem, out of interest do you have a UK device? what model?

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:34 PM »

I having the same problem in thailand. But I can fix it already.

Bullitt659

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 03:21:49 AM »

Hi I have had exactly the same problem & I have been told to send it back. To say I have got the hump is an understatement. I have spent a week trying to sort this out to no avail. I am not even sure I want another one.

nunjamin

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »

I have a LS-XH2.0 and updated to 1.41 and have this same problem. It now asks for username and password which no matter what I enter it is wrong. I did find if you download ubuntu Linux and put it on a cd, restart your computer and boot from cd into Linux (you can run all of this from CD and do not need to install anything) I could access my drive and pull my data off. *I opened the case up and plugged the harddrive in directly to my computer via sata*

Now that I got my data backed up I am not as worried but I would love to have a network drive again. Anyone know what the PW is or how to put back to firmware 1.40???? Thanks

RoyalGreen

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »

@nunjammin,  thats a good idea. The hard drives are completely intact and accessible when connected to a SATA cable when the right software or in your case O.S. is used.

I personally bought (another expense) some software that allowed me to pull vital info off my drive on a Windows system.

Currently the device is fully functional, rolled back to 1.40, with no error lights. Solid blue... however the password applied on 1.41 is still present so i still can’t access the device.

I have heard nothing of recent from Buffalo other than RMAing the device. The last i heard was that their Japan and U.S. tech teams are looking into this. To be honest they need to address this issue sooner rather than later, its a shocking mistake to make from a brand perspective. Again offical software from the official source locking their own product. In short the data is still intact, deleting the partition is not a satisfactory method of erasing data for RMAing a storage device.

I hate using analogies however... it’s like taking the car in for a complimentry service, the garage installing new locks, yet losing the key. Then offering to replace the whole car with a new one but a copy of your bank details and lifes work is in the glove box of the old!

I actually really like Buffalo products and own two, the CHS, which i replaced with the LS-VWL due to the unsatisfactory speeds of the CHS.