Author Topic: Replace Hard Drives in TeraStation Pro  (Read 6476 times)

wdlindberg

• Calf
Replace Hard Drives in TeraStation Pro
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »

I would like to replace all 4 hard drives in my TeraStation Pro.  While I'm at it I would like to increase drive size to 1 TB

It is a model TS-H0.0TGL/R5

Based on my research here it looks like I have to force an update to put a boot image on the new drives.  Can you summarize the procedure or direct me to the appropriate FAQ's?

Is this possible on this model?

I can not find this model listed in the Firmware Update List on this site; is there one available?

How do the new drives need to be formatted before I start?

Thanks,

Bill

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Replace Hard Drives in TeraStation Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »

This is not something that can be supported at this forum.

wdlindberg

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:04:47 PM »

Might I ask why?

There are other threads on this forum that are very similar.

Thanks,

WDL

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »

Because it will void your warranty. These units can only handle up so more space due to their components and firmware. And being a moderator I cannot help you modify your unit or void your warranty.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »

As jotin says, !!THIS WILL VOID ANY REMAINING WARRANTY ON YOUR DEVICE, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

OK, now that that's out of the way, i upgraded my TS-HTGL/R5 at the weekend from 2TB to 8TB.

Here's what to do.

Format all the HDD's you want to insert into the Terastation (one large NTFS partition on each HDD is fine)

Insert them into the Terastation and after a minute it will display  E06 TFTP mode Lost Boot Image.

Connect the TS directly to the LAN port of a PC/Laptop.

Set the IP address of the LAN card to 192.168.11.1 subnet: 255.255.255.0

you gave leave the gateway and DNS blank.

Download the TFTP image from ftp://24.153.165.234/array1/share/nas-recovery/TFTP%20Boot%20Recovery%20TS-HTGL-R5%201.20.exe

Unzip the contents to the desktop.

Deactivate all anti virus and firewall software on the PC.

Run the TFTP Boot .exe file and after a few minutes you will see 2 sets of blocks passed on the DOS screen.

After another few minutes the Terastation should be visible in the Nas Navigator and reporting as being in "EM mode"

Once this is the case download the 1.33 firmware (not 1.35) from http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/TS-HTGL_1.33_1.32.zip

Again, unzip the firmware to the desktop and make sure you can ping the Terastation.

After 10 - 15 minutes the unit should be up and running, at this stage you should be able to configure the RAID for RAID5 (it is spanning as default)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

jasonmcallister

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:55:06 PM »

Hello, 
I was also wondering if this method would work with an HD-HTGL/R5.  Looks like you own one of these as well.  i love the device it's just filled now and I have 4 extra 1TB drives I'd like to double the capacity.

Also, do i need to use an FTP client to follow that link?  I tried Chrome and IE and got a page error.

Thanks!  Jason

KJSTech

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:01:04 AM »

What's wrong with firmware 1.35? 

I want whatever does NTLMv2 AD authentication so I don't have to keep changing to a local username and password when mapping a drive on a server.  I'm at 695.17 GB used out of 695.61 available (99.94%).  This system was put in here awhile ago, I doubt it even has a warranty.  However if Buffalo people on here are going to be rude about it I'll just build another Openfiler system.  At least that is more flexible and fully supports NTLMv2 Lan Manager authentication.  Heck I can't even do a firmware update on this Buffallo.  The dumb utility never finds it and the idiots that wrote it didn't leave any field to manually plug in an IP address.  Heck why doesn't the web gui have a firmware upload page like every single home router out there.