Author Topic: Auto-Boot TeraStation TS-RXL after power failure  (Read 17081 times)

marknixon

• Calf
Auto-Boot TeraStation TS-RXL after power failure
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »

Hi All,

I am looking for a way to automatically boot my terastation after power is restored after a power failure. Powerfailures are commonplace where I am and the current UPS we have is a basic one that wont cut it, so the Terastation is on its own! We bsaically want it to auto startup once the power is back on rather than someone having to go to the rack and turning it back on...

Any help would be appriciated!

Thanks

Mark

m4nn3

• Calf
Re: Auto-Boot TeraStation TS-RXL after power failure
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:01 AM »

Hi,

sorry, I have no idea how to set up the terastation to 'boot after power failure' like PCs do. But thats exactly what I'm searching for, too.

So I would appriciate help as well.

Thanks a lot

Manuel

marknixon

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:54:31 AM »

I have found a solution - not a good one having said that...

I made sure the Terastation was booted up and operational for at least 10-15 mins, and changed the power management mode to Auto.

I then installed the nas navi2 software on 3-4 workstations that are on all the time, just to make sure im covered.

I simulated a power blackout by pulling the cable out of the wall, leaving it for about 2 mins, then plugging it back in. Sure enough the device powered back up - but it takes a good 10 mins to get fully operational. 

Im doing another test tomorrow to see if it will auto restart when the clients are idle.....

Not really happy about this at all.... 

m4nn3

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »

Thanks for this info. But this will only be plan B if i can't find another solution.

I cannot understand why buffalo did not give us an option like PCs have.

Regards

marknixon

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:18:40 AM »

I agree with you - a few months later im having all kinds of problems - I wanted this to be a completley stand-alone solution without requiring user intervention - however the lack of auto power on after power outage is making me wish I never got this in the first place!

I've noticed that the software only 'starts' the terrastation about half the time, and thats unreliable at best. Annoys me that the most basic of features can be covered by a $300 solution from Lacie but not a $1000+ solution that I have purchased.

Anyway, if anyone has found any solution to this that would be great!

Thanks

Mark

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »

This unit is still getting updates. I would post this idea in the Idea Exchange Lounge. I'm sure that you and others would like this feature. Post it there and have people give it a +1 so that Buffalo will take a look at it.

marknixon

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:28:02 AM »

Agreed,

Everyone who is interested in this feature please let Buffalo know by viting this page in the idea exchange:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-Lounge/Auto-Power-ON-when-AC-power-restored/idi-p/54482?

xtdv

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »

I hope this feature is also applied to Linkstation Series too (like LS-QL, LS-QVL, LS-AVL,...)

nw237

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »

Just voted for this feature. Hard to believe it isn't there already. I remember reading once that you can achieve something similar by forcing the power button to be always pressed, e.g. with a piece of gaffa tape. Has anyone tried this?

juanmsanchez

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »

Those are simple x86 computers running Linux. Just connect a keyboard and monitor to it, hit DEL to go into the BIOS and make the power change in the BIOS to turn on after a Power Outage.. like any othe rpc.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
Um no actually, the kernel is closed unless you open ssh/telnet and use 3rd party firmware to gain root access.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

danvanf

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »

Gosh I feel like I should apologize, because this turned into a bit of a rant.

I recently purchased a TeraStation it shocks me that this device doesn't automatically resume operations.  I suppose that limits these products to home users only.  Not auto starting or resuming last state on power return kills many features of the product.  Even if it's on a UPS, one power outage that goes beyond the UPS limits and Web access, Gone, iTunes Server gone, the whole device is gone.  Gosh I wish I didn't own the Buffalo TeraStation Pro TS-QVH8. Has anyone built a solenoid system to press the power button when utility service comes back?  For some reason, I keep testing it, but without auto power on.  I can't see any business use for this, it's a brick with a built in call to support.  The little strap that holds the AC cord in, is laughable when I have to push the button to start the brick.

In looking for solutions, first I found the old method of putting NASNavigator on multiple PC's, it no longer works. I thought the scheduler might help, I need the device up 24/7, but I thought I might fool the system and tell it to start up at 3 different times during the day.  That didn't work since the scheduler requires a shutdown time to be entered for a start time to be saved.  In order to sale this one, and not rip off my client, I'll set it to power down and back up early in the morning so at least if the power went out overnight or the weekend, they won't walk into to no file sharing device.

This is clearly the lamest failure to provide a feature that I've seen in recent history.  It turns what is a real nice device into a boat anchor.  What a shame. Consider this your warning, if you need 99 point something up time, this is not the device for you.

To those that love the product none the less, I apologize if I annoyed you, I'm out about a grand for a paving stone, I hope someone else who needs a reliable NAS device finds this thread.  Reliability is not MTBF to my clients, it's are my files there.

marknixon

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »

Coundnt agree more with you. Biggest piece of sh*t I have ever owned. After putting up with this trashy product for a year I bought a Synology RS212 rack station. Best decision ever. No more problems, cheper than the terastation, starts up after power outage, compatable with all ups's (not the sh*tty selection that only the terastation has). Basically, the Synology is everything the terastation should be.

Anyway, typical that even buffalo are using some voodoo Rsync implementation on the terastation, so cant even use it as a backup destination for the synology. managed to get the synology to mount the terastation shares on startup and do a 'local' backup - which works great now. Even better it comes on at 2am and shuts down at 4am so I dont have to listen to the bloody thing, and it wont superhead my cabinent. 

I will NEVER buy a buffalo product ever again. I will always badmouth them and ensure people close to me never sink a dollar into buying one of these hunks of **bleep**. I am so p*ssed off by this product I am going out of my way to badmouth it everywhere.

Do yourself a favor, offload this and get a synology!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »

danvanf ... Your model DOES have an auto power on feature my friend. The V series TeraStations have this option.

marknixon, what exact problems do you have with your unit? What model do you even have? Have you tried calling technical support for help?

danvanf

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 11:06:21 AM »

Jotin,  Clearly you are a knowledgable reference, according to the support rep I talked to, my model DOES NOT have an auto power function.  I'm happy to be proven wrong,  Where should I look?  I am new to this device and would be elated if auto power on was in the product.   Pretty much everything else about this unit is superb. I just can't get it to startup when power returns from a power failure. (not a timer)

Firmware version 1.10, support rep expected the serial number to be in the web interface on the left side.  It was not.   Full product number TS-QVH4.0TL/R6.  NASNavigator ver 2.33.  If you need any other information just let me know.

Thanks,