Author Topic: Instructions: mount Linkstation shares on Linux system (Ubuntu)  (Read 44664 times)

daoswald

• Buffalo

Doing some searching I found a lot of bad advice, and a lot of methods that proved to be a little convoluted.  So I thought I would post a method here.

This assumes you have admin priviliges on your Linux system.  It also assumes you wish to provide full access to the share for yourself, but not for other users.  However, with this startingpoint and a little reading of man pages it should be fairly self-explanatory how to proceed if you need a slightly different result.

On your Linkstation, set up a user with RW access to all of the shares that you want to mount on your linux system.  I recommend even setting up a user for shares that don't require a user.  It just makes things more uniform when you're setting up several shares on your Linux box.

Now on your linux system:

First, in your /mnt directory create a folder named /mnt/lspro. (You may use a different name if you wish, but be consistant.)

These are the variables you'll need to adapt for your situation:

LSIP = IP address of your Linkstation

SHARE = Share name (case sensitive)

LSUSER = Linkstation share username.

LSPASS = Linkstation share password.

USER = Your Linux account username.

sudo mount -t cifs //LSIP/SHARE /mnt/lspro/SHARE -o username=LSUSER,password=LSPASS,uid=USER,file_mode=0644,dmode=0755

I repeated the above for each of my shares that I wanted to be able to access from my Linux system.

Sudo will be asking you for your Linux account password.  Once this is done, you'll have your Linkstation share available at /mnt/lspro/SHARE (where SHARE is whatever name you gave it).  Now, it may be inconvenient for you to dive into /mnt/lspro to find your Linkstation files, so in your home directory do this:

cd

ln -s /mnt/lspro

Now you'll have a symbolic link that looks like a directory in your home directory called lspro.  Inside it, you'll have all the shares you mounted.

haruki

• Calf
Re: Instructions: mount Linkstation shares on Linux system (Ubuntu)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:16:59 AM »

Thank you.

I have also found lots of bad advice on the internet, but this worked perfectly.

I set up the shared folder in my home holder rather than the mnt folder, but it still seems to work

txell

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »
following above suggestions literally but still the following output
Code: [Select]
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Any helps please??

AndBurns

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:53:32 AM »
Excellent instructions.  For those using /etc/fstab (allows for automatic mounting), the precise equivalent command to the above is

//LSIP/SHARE /mnt/lspro/SHARE cifs username=LSUSER,password=LSPASS,uid=USER,file_mode=0644,dmode=0755

(this needs to be put into the file /etc/fstab

Note it was not immediately obvious to me (it should have been but was not), that LSUser was the name of a user account on the NAS and password was the associated password for that account on the NAS.   USER is the username of the user on the machine that is doing the mounting (i.e. your linux computer).

mattisking

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 05:32:08 PM »
Update to today. I'm sure there's a better way than this, but for those that come across these same instructions and have issues, update:

LSIP = IP address of your Linkstation
SHARE = Share name (case sensitive)
LSUSER = Linkstation share username.
LSPASS = Linkstation share password.
USER = Your Linux account username.

sudo mount -t cifs //LSIP/share /mnt/lspro/share -o username=LSUSER,password=LSPASS,uid=USER,file_mode=0644,vers=1.0

and for fstab:
//LSIP/share /mnt/lspro/share cifs username=LSUSER,password=LSPASS,uid=USER,file_mode=0644,vers=1.0