Author Topic: Active Directory and TS-RX8 configuration - Finally!  (Read 1280 times)

randyryan

• Calf
Active Directory and TS-RX8 configuration - Finally!
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:29:07 AM »

After a rather blase tech support call and being told that my 6 TS-RX8's were basically good for a door stop, yes, the tech did use those words, I refused to take no for an answer.  Seeing all the issues reported here trying to get the device to enter into a AD environment, I finally got my problem resolved.

Tech Support basically told me that if any of my AD users had strange characters in the password, it would not show any AD users.  Even though the AD Groups show up and you can choose one, since the users are enumerated, there is no access for any AD user.  There appears that there is no solution on the horizion from the engineers for Buffalo, just 100's of requests for a fix.  What  a letdown.  The dozen old Terastation II's didn't have that problem.

Since my application for these devices is only for video storage and access by 1 user, I thought I might keep pounding on it until I came up with something that worked. First I reset the device back to factory defaults and then instead of using the Active Directory, I chose NT Domain and entered the netbios name and user information.   I then went to local groups and entered the same user name and password as the single user that will be accessing the device.

The server was able to map to the device and access the share with read and write priviledges as expected.  I can now see the domain users and groups and can't tell any difference between the NT Domain setup and the old TS-II AD setup.

One caveat here is that I did, at one time during this mess, create a computer account in AD and I don't recall if I had deleted it or not prior to selecting the NT Domain option.  Never the less, I think that the key to successful entry to network access is using the NT Domain and netbios name rather than the AD option.  The end result was I could see the domain users, which I believe is the key to being able to access the device over the network.