Author Topic: Linkstation Quad - problem of sharing aiff file in iTune  (Read 5834 times)

ysun8876

• Calf
Linkstation Quad - problem of sharing aiff file in iTune
« on: December 31, 2008, 05:33:37 PM »

I bought a Linkstation Quad recently as it is claimed be to able to "seamlessly Integrate with iTunes and Allow you to Access your Music Files on the LinkStation from Your iTunes Software". Most of our musics are in aiff format (.aif), only a few in .m4a format. After I copied all the files to Linkstation Quad, I can see the server in my iTune Shared section and those .m4a files, but all the .aif files are not visible.

Anybody can help? Or is this a known issue that hopefully will be addressed by the next Firmware release?

Thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Quad - problem of sharing aiff file in iTune
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:51:23 PM »
I will have to look into this for you.  I will try to create the same issue you are having then I will report my findings to my corporate office.

ysun8876

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »

Hi Paul, Thanks for looking into this.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »
Have you tried to reboot the NAS from the web interface?

ysun8876

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:09:36 PM »
   You mean restarting the Media Server? Yes. I just restarted again and it didn't help. Are you able to see the aiff file in your iTune? Thanks!

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
I will bring in one of my macs to test this out.  My initial thought is that the server looks for file types that it recognizes, like MP3 and M4A files, as opposed to simply listing everything within the directory.  It may simply not think the AIFF files are sharable multimedia files.  I will encode some AIFF files and try to duplicate this, but in the interim I'd recommend just re-encoding the files into a format that you already know works reliably.

ysun8876

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »

I also tried to simply modify some of the files extension from .aif to .m4a. As a result, I can see those songs in iTune. However, I could not play them. (other real .m4a files are playing fine)

Thanks for the help.