Author Topic: relative backup speeds for various BT drives  (Read 2209 times)

cordelli

• Calf
relative backup speeds for various BT drives
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:18:33 PM »

Can someone provide a definitive comparison of backup speeds using the various BT drives; e.g., DriveStation TurboUSB, DriveStation FlexNet (both USB & networked), LinkStation Mini, LinkStation EZ, LinkStation Live, LinkStation Pro.

It's very frustrating trying to get this information, and very hard to choose a model when you can't compare them head-to-head; for example, assuming I have 300GB of various files (DOCs, PDFs, Outlook PSTs, etc) to backup, what is the relative difference (say by %) between using the various models (and connection modes) to perform the backup?  This ought to be able to ignore any variables with regard to backup software choice, since all would presumably be affected similarly. 

Also, assuming some fixed backup software scheme (perhaps whatever comes with the drives or plain drag-and-drop or "xcopy"), what are the approximate Mbps rates to expect?

My intention was to use a network-attached model to backup our file server overnight when the network was quiet, then backup that backup to a removeable USB hard drive during the day (so this would not impact the rest of the network) to be taken home in the evening for an "off-site" backup capability.  But I can't even get a feel for the feasibility of this approach without some numbers...

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: relative backup speeds for various BT drives
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:43:22 PM »
All of the units will transfer via ethernet 5 to 7 min per gig, and through usb backups to an external hard drive formatted in XFS it will transfer with standard USB 2.0 speeds of 480 Mbps.  The turbo units will be 37% faster, however that software can only be used on a PC (connected to the NAS it will operate with standard USB speeds)