Author Topic: LinkStation Wireless Access Help  (Read 3532 times)

garyam

• Calf
LinkStation Wireless Access Help
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »

I’ve been using my LinkStation (HD-H-250) successfully for the past few years without incident. It’s hardwired to my desktop and wirelessly previously linked to my work-supplied laptop for manual backups. I just got a new laptop (HP Compaq 6910p running XP Pro) from work. It is obviously in a different workgroup from my home LAN but that’s nothing new. But for some reason I can’t map my LinkStation drive on the new laptop. It’s strange because I can ping the LinkStation and open a browser and connect to its dashboard using the LinkStation’s IP address. I’ve even set a rule in my laptop firewall to open the LinkStation IP address so that security doesn’t block access. The error message says it can’t map the drive because the network path can’t be found. Any ideas?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Wireless Access Help
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »
Make sure you are mapping via IP and not name.  Also try disabling your firewall and anti virus software, until the drive is mapped.

garyam

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »
   Thanks Paul. but perhaps I should have been clearer in my post. I have tried mapping the drive using the IP address (as well as the server name) and it doesn't work. That's why I am surprised I can PING the drive and ACCESS it through my browser using the IP address. And I have diabled the firewall as well as opening the IP address. The real oddity here is that I can't see the drive via any of the normal networking tools but I can access it. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »

Try To Force the firmware

then set the unit back to factory defaults under maintenance, this will not cause any data loss. 

garyam

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »

Paul,

Well, I went to download the firmware and can't find an update for my drive. I have an HD-H250LAN model that is not listed in the download data base. I'm currently running V2.05. Does an update even exist? That's question #1. If there is an update, do I run this on my desktop that is hard wired to the LinkStation? It's my laptop that can't see the drive. Or, should I get assistance from tech support? They worked with me Monday night but other than trying to network my laptopp from Safe Mode, they didn't have an answer and suggested I contact my corporate tech support. I did, but they can't trouble shoot my issue from behind the firewall at work and like my doctor, they don't make house calls.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:01:42 AM »

On the Web site you can go to support, then downloads then under the 2 drop down boxes you can select archive site.

this will have your firmware.  I believe that 2.05 is the latest, however flashing it will remove any of the corruption.