Author Topic: Can't physically insert a second drive into my CloudStor?  (Read 1428 times)

jbmcsorley

• Calf
Can't physically insert a second drive into my CloudStor?
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »

I recently purchased a Seagate ST32000542AS at the same time as my new CS-WV2.0T/1D.  Firmware 1.00.  Everything is set up and working properly with the factory drive, but I can't physically insert the second drive into bay 2.

The reason is because there are two metal tabs sticking down (positioned at depth of roughly 1 inch and again at 3 inches) inside the chassis toward the upper left of the second bay.  These metal tabs are part of the stamped chassis assembly, but they are sitting at an angle of roughly 45 degrees in such a way that they are stopping the second drive from going into the bay. 

I thought maybe the drive was too thick... but the size, configuration, shape, etc. of the second Seagate drive is identical to the drive that shipped with the unit (they appear identical in every way).   I suspect the chassis stamping machine failed to bend these tabs to a full 90 degrees and this may be a manufacturing flaw. 

The rear-most tab has a piece of shiny spring steel attached as if to ground and/or guide the first drive into Bay 1... if I try to bend these tabs out of the way to make room for the second drive, I might run the risk of damaging the attachment.  This is definitely not an operation that Joe Consumer should have to perform.

• What do I need to do to physically install the second drive?
  • Do I need to bend these tabs out of the way?   If so, which direction should I bend them so they are least likely to damage the unit? 
  • Do I need to send it back for a replacement?

Thank You.

Iain

• Calf
Re: Can't physically insert a second drive into my CloudStor?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »

My unit turned up with exactly the same problem. I removed the first drive and very carefully pushed the guides back so they were upright, they moved easily, I only used my fingers, both drives fitted perfectly after that, hope this helps, Iain

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:05:20 PM »

I would send it back for replacement. It should definitely not be like that. 

jbmcsorley

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »

After removing the first drive I could clearly see how these "guide tabs" got twisted within the thin chassis housing.  As suggested, I gently realigned the tabs so they were once again perpendicular, allowing both drives to be fully inserted.  Problem solved!