Author Topic: LS-WVL won't stop blinking blue light  (Read 17303 times)

chgoeditor

• Calf
LS-WVL won't stop blinking blue light
« on: April 08, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »

Hi,

I just bought the LS-WVL LinkStation Pro Duo. I got it set up, transferred files, etc. Once I confirmed that it was working, I turned it off, unplugged it from the router & power, then moved it to a more convenient location. As soon as I powered it up again, the blue light started flashing continuously. I've tried power cycling it several times and have rechecked the connections to the router.

I've read FAQ 3 of 5, but I'm not sure that applies to my product. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: LS-WVL won't stop blinking blue light
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »

FAQ 3 of 5 will not work for you. I think a simple reset should fix this issue though. Follow the reset process with the function button that is in the manual. 

chgoeditor

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:38:34 AM »

Hi Jotin,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried, but don't think that's working either. The manual says:

1. Move the power switch to the OFF position to shut down the LinkStation.

2. Move the power switch to the ON position while holding down the function button. The function button will flash blue for 1 minute.

3. While the function button is flashing blue, press it again. The status LED will flash blue. It will
start flashing amber when initialization begins (2 - 3 minutes).

My experience:

Step One: Had to unplug because the light continued to flash blue even in the OFF position.

Step Three: After pushing the function button again, the power light also began to flash and after a minute or two turned solid. 10 minutes later the function light is still flashing blue and has never turned to amber.

Thoughts?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

At that point is it ever viewable from the Nas Navigator? 

chgoeditor

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:07:14 AM »

Yes and no.

Before I did the reset, it wasn't.

Now, in NAS Navigator I see the drive icon with a question mark overlaid on it. (I can't see it from File Explorer, etc.) When I hover over the icon, it says, "Information: The EM Mode was detected. Update firmware or contact your local technical support."

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:11:42 AM »

You need to download your latest firmware and run the firmware update. 

chgoeditor

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »

I downloaded, unzipped and ran the update. It seemed to be communicating with the LinkStation. Once it was almost finished, I got a message asking for the password. I tried both the password I'd created as well as the default password and neither worked. I also tried leaving the password blank and that failed. Finally I just hit cancel. It gave me an ambiguous message (that I unfortunately don't remember), but seemed to show that the LinkStation was updated. At this point, the power light was solid blue and the function light was turned off.

I could see the LinkStation through NASNavigator, but was unable to open it. I'd previously mapped the LS's hard drive to my computer, but those were showing as disconnected. I used Windows Explorer to look at my network and it doesn't seem to see the LinkStation. So I rebooted my computer...now NASNavigator can't find the LS at all. I also power-cycled the LS and still no connection.

I'm getting so frustrated with this thing...I bought it to replace another Buffalo drive that had died, but at this point, if I could wipe the data off of it and return it, I would. For something that's supposed to be a consumer-oriented product, it's turning out to be anything but. Any other ideas to help?

hubbardscupboar

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »

Did you find a solution to this?

I am experiencing the same issue. I bought a new LS-WVL and then installed 2 Segate 2000 GB drives.

Power button blinks and then device re-starts.

Same thing happens with a reset.

chgoeditor

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »

No, I haven't found a solution yet, and have been busy enough that it hasn't been a priority. I'm really kicking myself for buying this drive in the first place, since it's not the firs Buffalo drive that's malfuctioned on me not long after purchase.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »

hubbardscupboar wrote:

Did you find a solution to this?

I am experiencing the same issue. I bought a new LS-WVL and then installed 2 Segate 2000 GB drives.

Power button blinks and then device re-starts.

Same thing happens with a reset.

You cannot install 2 new drives and expect the linkstation to run.

You will get E6 (the firmware is corrupted).

Firmware has to be written in the drives first you can use the LS.

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »

I'm experiencing the same exact blue blinking light issue.  Can't turn the unit off by setting the switch to OFF either... that blue light just continues to blink.

This is a new Linkstation Pro Duo that I just received.  Immediately prior to this issue, I deleted the default RAID 0 array and created a RAID 1 array.  I then let the array sync over night (during which time the LED was blinking amber).  Woke up this morning, blue light is flashing rapidly.

Any solutions?

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 10:38:25 AM »

I should add that prior to deleting the RAID 0 and creating the RAID 1, I upgraded the firmware via the web interface to 1.43.

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:19 AM »

Alright, I left the unit blinking overnight, with the switch set to OFF.  The unit never turned off.  So I decided to try pulling the plug on it.  I pulled the plug, waited, plugged the unit back in, held down the function button, switched the switch to ON, and then press the function button a second time.  The power and function blue LED lights started blinking rapidly and continued to do so for about 2 minutes.  The function light turned off, and the power light stopped blinking and stayed solid blue.

It looked like everything had restored itself back to normal... I was able to ping the device, etc., so I decided to started transfering over some files.  I dragged about 600GB worth of files, and took off for the day.  When I came back several hours later, it had gotten about halfway through the file transfer, but there was an error message saying my computer had lost it's connection to the Linkstation.  No lights were flashing on the Linkstation.... just a solid blue power light.  I tried to ping it, and sure enough, no response.  I tried to power OFF, and again no response from the unit.  It sat there for several minutes without powering down.  So I decided to power down by pulling the plug, and when I powered back up, the amber light started flashing telling me the array was syncing.

I'm going to let it do it's thing and see if this time it syncs, but I have to be honest.... this device is really testing my patience.  I have another identical unit that this unit is supposed to replace (see HERE), and the other unit had NONE of these issues -- it has another problem where I couldn't remove the internal drives, but otherwise it works perfectly.

Do I have another defective device?  Can someone from Buffalo respond to these issues please?

melissarawson

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 12:13:16 AM »

Same problem, this is also a replacement unit from Buffalo and the blue lights won't stop blinking.

NasNavi connected, updated firmware, changed to RAID 1, tried to change to static ip on my network and the unit seemed to be unhappy about it.

After that was unable to browse although the NasNavi seems to see the new ip???

Tried resetting but the blue function light just keeps flashing!!

I'm an IT manager and this piece of equipment is more frustrating than anything I deal with at work.

Why won't Buffalo respond?

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »

Good luck!  My case is still unresolved has been dragging for MONTHS!