Author Topic: iBuffalo Drivestation 1TB DIED after only 7 DAYS  (Read 1138 times)

waddo

• Calf
iBuffalo Drivestation 1TB DIED after only 7 DAYS
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:08:53 AM »

I bought an iBuffalo Drivestattion 1TB drive last Friday.  My HP Pavilion laptop has been giving me disk errors and won't let me repartition the disk so I can install Linux.  So I've planned do a thorough backup (as well as I can because backup software keeps failing on complete backups) reformat the drives so my private data is removed, and send it in for service, getting by on my EEE PC with external monitor.  

I already have backups on a 750 GB 3.5'' external and 500 GB 2.5 '' external, but if I'm going to wipe out the laptop storage I want to ensure I have enough backups to be secure.

So I got the drive home and backed everything up over the last week and things were going well.  I was planning to call HP service on Monday.

Anyway, today I got home, tried to fire up the iBuffalo, and no go.  The drive light goes on, the drive hums, then it all shuts down.  I have tried many times.  Same result.

This must be the worst tech purchase I have ever made.  (7 &#@% days???)

You may say "So what.  Take the drive back and exchange it."  But now I have it full of private data. If some tech gets the drive going even temporarily then he has access to that.

I have another drive that's been running flawlessly for nearly 2 years.  It seems to me I should have stuck with that brand.

Today I was in the same shop checking out NAS options, among them being Buffalo products.  I'm glad I wasn't ready to buy at that point.

Right now it looks like I'm out of pocket for the cost of the drive and I need to buy another one, but I'm curious whether anyone can actually recommend anything.

Come Sunday I think I'll be setting up a blog and loading some youtube videos about this.  

Not impressed.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: iBuffalo Drivestation 1TB DIED after only 7 DAYS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

Unfortunate but it can happen with any external HDD, always ensure you keep a copy of any important information.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

waddo

• Calf
Re: iBuffalo Drivestation 1TB DIED after only 7 DAYS
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:02:41 PM »

> Always keep your data backed up on a seperate device!*****

I do.  This is not my only copy.  I stated so in my post.