Author Topic: Linkstation Mini firmware update problem: "Couldn't confirm a response from ..."  (Read 9956 times)

don_mv

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 8
   I am trying to update my Linkstation Mini LS-WSGL from 1.03 to 1.05 and the updater sees it but says it couldn't confirm a response from it.  The linkstation works otherwise; I'm using XP with all updates; I have a ethernet cable just to the linkstation; my windows firewall is off; my zonealarm is off.  What is the problem?  Why can't this firmware update??  How come the updater program can find it find and then say it isn't getting a response?
Message Edited by don_mv on 09-29-2008 12:09 AM

Paul

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 1223

Try running the unit with an Ethernet cable directly to your PC for the update. 

TIP: No cross over cable is needed a straight cable will work.


don_mv

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 8
   Like I said,  I have an ethernet cable just to the linkstation.  From my PC to Linkstation period.  Not a crossover cable.

Paul

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 1223
Try to power up the LS in EM mode using the function button and run the updater again.  If that fails try another computer (if possible with no antivirus and firewall software installed). 

don_mv

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 8
   I tried plugging in the power cord while holding the function button.  The small blue light blinks and then linkstation blinks blue.  The firmware updater cannot find it until these blinkings are done.  And then it finds it but won't update it as before.

Paul

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 1223

We are going to have to force the update, depending on the error message you get this should solve it.  First please verify that you have down loaded the firmware 1.05 then follow the steps on this link

 

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=4968#M277

 

 


don_mv

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 8
   

I modified the firmware updater .ini file as suggested in your previous link and got the secret debug menu.  Once again it always could find the linkstation but "could not confirm a response" when i tried to update it. 

 

I have shut down zonealarm.  Windows firewall is supposed to be off according to the XP security center.  However I can't start the XP firewall either "DUE TO AN UNIDENTIFIED PROBLEM".  So I wonder if I need to do an XP repair?

 

Also, I need to try another computer.

 

I noticed the manual said ports 8873 or 22939 may be used for this update.  Is that true?


don_mv

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 8
   

OK  XP firewall error message is fixed now (thanks google).  XP firewall is indeed off.

So does anybody else have a suggestion?  Its just me and the moderator so far.  The updater can find the mini but can't update it.  The debug mode force didn't work.  I can't tell what is different about emergency mode, the IP address didn't change.  I'm stuck at my current firmware level.  Can it be updated via the USB cable??

 

 


Paul

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 1223
It won't take a firmware update from the USB.  I would call 866-752-6210 for an RMA, or contact your retailer with in 30 days for a swap.  This sounds like the flash chip on the motherboard is defective.

don_mv

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 8
How to get past update problem: "Couldn't confirm a response from ..."
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 11:05:19 pm »
   

I updated my firmware.  The trick is that the computer and linkstation must have the same IP addresse except for the last 3 digit field.  When you plug a ethernet cable between the linkstation and computer nobody is a DHCP server and if the computer is set to AUTO IP configuration it doesn't get an IP; or at least one that will work.  So run firmware update and look at the linkstation address.  Then set your computer IP address manually to one less for IP & gateway (& 255.255.255.0 mask).  I did this and updated.  I did have to press return several times to finish.  And I selected all the secret debug options (probably unnecessary) and accidently erased all directory information. (oops)  And it was set to Japanese language too; but that was easily changed since I had the menus memorized.  Hope this helps everybody!