Author Topic: 2 USB HDDs attached to 1TB Linkstation Pro issues  (Read 3307 times)

tdowlingjr

• Calf
2 USB HDDs attached to 1TB Linkstation Pro issues
« on: December 26, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »

Not sure what is going on.  I have two linkstation pro's and each have two USB HDDs attached to them, they seem to work for a while, but then i get an error when attaching a 2nd drive on each linkstation pro.

"An unexpected error is preventing the operation.  Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:  Error 0x8007045D:  The request could not be performed because of a device error"

Now i have no permissions on this drive, so anyone can get access to it.

I have the lastest BIOS 3.08

I drive is formatted using the tools from the web browser interface XFS

I did shut off printer server functions thinking that was stepping on it.

If i remove the HDD that is having an issue and attach it to my laptop, reformat it has NTFS and run it for a week, the drive is fine.  If i put it back on the Linkstation Pro, reformat it as XFS it seems to work for a day, but then i go to add a TXT file to it and I get the above error.

Let me know if anyone else is having this issue.  Again this is happening both of my linkstation pro 1TB units.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: 2 USB HDDs attached to 1TB Linkstation Pro issues
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »

That is an odd issue, are the hard drives self powered or do they require AC?

Also try to force the firmware on the unit, then set it back to factory defaults from the web interface (under maintenance).  Let me know if you still have an issue with it.

tdowlingjr

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »
   Thanks for the reply.  The USB HDDs have an AC adapter and they are plugged in.  The drives are Maxtor OneTouch 4 (USB 2.0; 640GB).  Interesting thing, both drives that are having issues are both the Maxtor OneTouch 4.  If i set everything back to factory defaults, will I lose the data on the RAID-1 array? I have two arrays (Share, Pictures)  And what is the syntax to do a force flash?  I remember talking to Buffalo Tech support one day for one of my other NAS devices, and he said to copy the short cut on my desktop and edit it and put a parameter on it.. something like /F .  I just can't remember.  Thanks again for the help.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:56:42 AM »

Setting the unit back to factory defaults from the web interface will not cause data loss.  You will lose your user config info and IP address, along with the date and time.

to force the firmware please follow this link force firmware

tdowlingjr

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:29:49 AM »
   Ok, i restored to the defaults, changed the pw and ip address. I can add files to the 2nd usb hdd now. I will try that for a while before i force the firmware update. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help.