Author Topic: Backup Advice  (Read 1748 times)

AllegraGF

• Calf
Backup Advice
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »

We purchased a Terastation III a few months ago. I setup a large share for our graphic files (2.6 TB). I back up to two 1.5 TB external drives and rotate them out weekly to have an offsite copy. Here is my concern. I was not thinking ahead in that the 2.6 TB is greater then the 1.5 TB. I thought I could back up folders, but the backup as far as I could see is just for a share, not folders. This means I will not be able to backup the full 2.6 on the external.

1. So can I change the size of the share down to 1.5 without erasing all that is on it?
  2. Do I have to erase the share and create an new one and then resort all the file, this I am afraid to do that something might go wrong or it will take so long as to disrupt our production.
  3. Is their any ideas what is best to do.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Backup Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »

is the whole share folder used up? Once the total back up is more than 1.5 TB then you will have to purchase a larger drive. Because the available space is 2.6TB does not mean that 2.6TB will be transferred. Only the used amount will be transferred. 

AllegraGF

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »

No it is not used up. I have 2.14 free of 2.68 TB. Before I get to far along I want to do what needs to be done. I wish I could just change the share size to 1.3 TB

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »

You will have to delete the share and copy the data back to it if you want it to just be 1.3 TB. 

AllegraGF

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »

How is the best way to transfer the files from the backup disk to the new share?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »

How much space do you have left on your unit? If it is more than half full then you will need to transfer the data off of the unit and back on to it once the unit is cleared. If it is not more than half full then you can just setup a disk back up and select the first share as the backup source and then the 2nd share as the backup destination. 

AllegraGF

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »

No the unit only has about 300 GB and it is a 4TB unit. I had thought about this, but the main share I have setup is 2.6 TB so I did not think I could create another share large enough to do this.

AllegraGF

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

I am totally confused. The folders have no size limits other than the share. Since it is the share folders I am backing up I have no problem, because once a folder reaches the 1.3 TB I can just create a new folder and back that up to a second drive.

Here is my question. How did I set the share or whatever you call it to 2.6TB when I have a 4TB array?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
You dont have a 4TB array, you have 4 x 1TB HDD in a RAID5 configuration. With this setup you get 2.6TB of available space on the NAS.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!