Author Topic: Linkstation Mini LS-WSGL/R1 data lost, important data lost  (Read 3539 times)

annee2000

• Calf
Linkstation Mini LS-WSGL/R1 data lost, important data lost
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

We used the LS-WSGL/R1 500Gb (Raid1) for backup of our PC. Recently I wanted to delete old directorys on the device. I did this with several directories with success via the explorer on a PC (XP).

After deletion of the last directory were in total 5 directories left. The system directory from Buffalo and 4 others. Since then the only directory accessible is the info directory with the japanese and english subdirectory. When double clicking on the other four directories the PC shows after a while a message "directory is not accessible".

For info: The NAS navigator 2 invites me to format the disk. I can access the disk via the web interface.

To avoid more damage I have not done anything since. The data on the disk is vital for us. How can I retrieve the data?

Thanks for your help!

FB_Addon_TelNo{ height:15px !important; white-space: nowrap !important; background-color: #0ff0ff;}

sethz

• El Toro
Re: Linkstation Mini LS-WSGL/R1 data lost, important data lost
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »

Do you have the Trashbin enabled? If so your deleted files should be in there

annee2000

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:57:59 PM »
I would say yes as far as I remember even so there is no more trashbin directory today. But why am I not able to access the existing folders except the Info folder from Buffalo?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »

In order to access that folder you may want to reset the unit. Go to maintenance then initilization and then choose restore linkstation. This will not touch the data on the unit. If that does not work then I would try following FAQ 2 of 5. 

annee2000

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »

I did the restore of the Linkstation. It did not change anything. It still indicates in the Nas Navigator2 that the disk is unformatted. Directories are visible as before, I cannot access any folder except the "info" folder.

Any ideas?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »

Did you do a force reinstall of the firmware? Sometimes it really needs it. Last night my LS WVL came up with both drives 1 and 2 being bad. I knew this wasnt possible so I reinstalled the firmware and restored the interface and it showed my data again but drive 2 was bad. Replaced it and let the unit rebuild its RAID array over night and everything was fine again. 

annee2000

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »

Unfortunately the forced firmware update did not change anything. I am not quite sure what you mean with "rebuild the Raid array overnight". I can’t find this option.

By surprise I discovered that I cannot select any folder in the Shared Folders setup.

I have a second Linkstation Mini. Does it make sense to swap disks?

Can I connect one of the HDD to a PC and try to repair the disk?

FB_Addon_TelNo{ height:15px !important; white-space: nowrap !important; background-color: #0ff0ff;}

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »

If you do have another one then yes, you could swap your disks into that unit, flash the firmware, and then recover the data. You cannot mount these disks in a Windows Pc without software. If you want to mount the disks in Windows you would have to purchase UFS explorer. If you have Linux installed then you could mount the drives into Linux without any software. 

annee2000

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »

Just for better understanding: Why do I have to flash the firmware after disk swapping? The second Linkstation Mini is not exactly the same type, it's a LS-WS1.0TGL/R1. Is this ok?

Can I mount the HDD's on a PC booted with Ubuntu or similar and try to recover the data?

Can you recommend a Linux program for data recovery? This is slightly beyond my software knowledge.

Thanks!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »

You must flash the firmware on the unit after you swap the hard drives because the old drives will contain the firmware for that unit and these drives will contain the firmware for the other unit. And the ROM chip contains part of the firmware also. So flashing the firmware after swapping the drives flashes both the ROM and writes the firmware to the drives so it will match. There is no data recovery software needed to recover the data through Ubuntu. Just mount the drives with a RAID card and it should work just fine.