Author Topic: FTP stopped transferring but can still log in... ls500gl  (Read 1132 times)

wid

• Calf
FTP stopped transferring but can still log in... ls500gl
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »

Hi, I have an LS500gl with firmware 1.15 and have been able to access this unit via ftp for about a year. Yesterday it stopped.

I am able to log in with the usual username and password, but no shared folders or disk1 appear. Eventually it times out.

I have checked the router for problems and also reset it (BT home hub).

I have checked DYNDNS settings (the group I use for a DNS address) and also reset

I have factory reset the LS500gl and re-entered all data (users, passwords, ftp settings, workgroup, shares, etc)

I have checked the disk via the web interface.

I have used fiefox, internet explorer and fireftp to try and access this unit ( all log in but get no folders).

I and all others are able to access this unit via LAN (LAN function is still perfect).

I have tried a DMZ and "no firewall" with same result.

The whole LAN pings correctly.

Does anyone have an idea of what this problem is?

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: FTP stopped transferring but can still log in... ls500gl
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »

Are you able to still access the data through Windows? And is the FTP option enabled on the unit and is the FTP option checked for any of your share folders? If all this is set correctly you may need to do a force firmware update and restore. 

wid

• Calf
Re: FTP stopped transferring but can still log in... ls500gl
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:07:02 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I have found a sticky-plaster solution that has got this device FTP'ing again.

I did a factory reset on the BT homehub router and still no FTP.

I then set the LS500gl to static address and assigned an address that the homehub had never used ( I had tried before just setting the address as static without changing it).

The homehub did not recognise the LS500gl at all. So I did another factory reset on the homehub.

This time, the hub recognised the LS500gl, I ported the FTP ports on the new address and all works.

There have been no updates of firmware and nothing has changed on the LAN so why this problem occurred, I don't know. The BT homehub router works very well with all sorts of devices so I still don't know if this is a bug with the LS500gl or the router.

In answer to your questions, All computers were able to access data locally via this device. The problem was only via FTP on the internet. All settings for FTP on shared folders and for the device were checked.

Hopefully this work-around will stay stable. Otherwise I will try the firmware re-install suggested. Thanks for you help.