Author Topic: Linkstation disk full much too soon  (Read 1892 times)

ianmatthews

• Calf
Linkstation disk full much too soon
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »

Hi there, I have been using a Linkstation  { LS-CHL-V2(LS-CHL-V259A)  firmware 1.21  } with 1 half terabyte of storage for nearly a year to store backups via the provided Memeo software (from a Win 7 PC and a Vista PC over private network).

Every new file and version of a file is backed up staright away and I have checked this by retrieving data from the Linkstation.

The two Shares are about 40Gb in total according to Windows Explorer; however, NASNavigator software shows the disk as being full and Memeo has stopped working, saying there is no space.

I have started a disk check which is reported as running, but no progress is shown, just a revolving wheel. It has been running for about 30 hours so far.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what is causing the disk to report being full when the data should be 10% of the available space?

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation disk full much too soon
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

It could be an error with the firmware. you are running a rather old version. I would update to 1.37. 

ianmatthews

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:01:09 AM »

Thanks for your reply. The disk check is still running, so I will wait until it finishes (could be some time, 48 hours so far).   :)

ianmatthews

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:42 AM »

Hello again, I have updated the firmware to 1.37 as suggested and the NASnavigator2 software shows the new firmware version.

Unfortunately it still shows the disk as nearly full, when i can only find data which accounts for less than 10% of the space.

Any more suggestions?

sethz

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »

Do you have the Trashbin/Recycle Bin enabled? It's possible any old or deleted documetns might be there. Especially if you were running automated backups.

ianmatthews

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did have the re-cycle bin option ticked on both Shares.

I tried un-ticking them and saving the changes, but there was no observeable change in the reporting of space used - still 40G in the Shares folders and yet NAS Navigator still reports the disk as being full, all 499Gb.

Memeo refuses to continue backing up to the Linkstation, so I have switched off the Linkstation and purchased another USB external drive and have performed simple manual backups of my computers in the meantime. I must say its much simpler than trying to untangle what is happening with the Linkstsation!

Do I need to erase all the data on the Linkststion and start again with no re-cycling?

ianmatthews

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 03:18:11 AM »

Yes, that is the answer! One of the shares contained a trashbox with 244,000 deleted files in it which was taking up more than 400 Gb. I have deleted the trashbox and changed the settings to "no re-cycling" and will start up memeo again. 

Thanks for your help, Ian Matthews