Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Duo LS-WVL/E lost connection when copying huge amount of data!  (Read 3884 times)

yc1437

• Calf
Hi, need help here, having serious issue of failure with ls-wvl/e. I have my ls-wvl install with 1 western d 2 tb green hdd, both newly bought. The nas is connected to TL-WR1043ND wireless router to adsl modem (tp-link unit as well) (windows 7 home premium 32bit) Now the problem is whenever I want copy my files from pc over the nas, eg 50gb in one shoot, halfway copying the connection loss (nas blue led blinking) and the nas cannot be found anymore from my pc network page, until the nas blue led stop blinking (ii guess the nas reboot?). But the problem not happen if I copy only a small amount of data say few hundred mb. Anyone any idea to fix this issue? I'm in the middle of migrating all my data file to the nas, this problem really raise my worry on the reliability of this product! Thank in advance YC

Jotin

• Big Bull

What is the firmware version on this unit? And what is the power switch set to on the back of the unit? On or Auto? 

yc1437

• Calf

Hi, the NAS set to ON, a few setting i tweak yesterday try to solve this issue but not luck :(

Test setting:

1. In win7, Device Manager, set the ethernet (realtek) speed setting to 1Gb full duplex, turn on the jumbo frame 7mb

2. In the NAS, set the jumbo frame to 7mb as well

Findings:

1. The file copy become very fast, 20 MBs ~ 40 MBs (with original auto-negotiation & jumbo frame disabled, the copying speed only few hundred kBs

2. However, when select 500gb files copy to nas network folder, the connect loss after sometime.

3. I canceled the copying process, but i only can access to the network folder again after some moment.

4. The nas login page become non-stop loading, but i can access via my phone thru the wifi

So, now what puzzling me is the problem come fr the nas or the router or win7?

Regards

YC

Jotin

• Big Bull

Ok, what is the firmware version of the unit? And try plugging the unit directly into the pc with an Ethernet cable with a static ip address and see what the transfer speed is. 

yc1437

• Calf

The firmware 1.40.

Static IP on pc ethernet or the nas? Do i need to turn on the DHCP in NAS when direct plug to my pc?

Jotin

• Big Bull

You need a static ip address on your pc as well as the NAS. Just disable the dhcp on the NAS and put your pc on the same ip address just have he last digit be a digit smaller. Example, ip on the NAS 192.168.11.2 and the pc 192.168.11.1. 

ehdrian

• Calf

I'm having almost the exact same problem with my LS-WVL running firmware 1.40

I have the NAS connected to a 24 port D-Link Gbit switch, all cabling is CAT6 througout. Win 7 Pro 64bit with connected to two mapped shares on the NAS using standard frames. When I try to copy a large file 20-50GB in size, the Pro Duo appears to crash and as a results with in a reboot, which causes the RAID1 array to de-sync everytime. I have two 2GB Seagate Green 5900RPM drives in the LS Pro Duo. It appears to happen whenever there are large files being transferred or many connections are being utilized, for eg. copying/deleting files while DLing with utorrent.

Jotin

• Big Bull

Have you tried my suggestions above? I have the same unit and I was able to just select 670 GB's of data and paste it over to my linkstation. It only took about 4 hours to transfer. I was getting about 50 mb's. I was doing this how ever with a direct connection to my PC which has a gigabit card. 

ehdrian

• Calf

Yes, all of my networked devices on my LAN are static IPs. 

My guess here is that Buffalo's firmware still doesn't fully support the technology behind these new 2TB 5900RPM "Green" drives.

Jotin

• Big Bull

5900RPM? These units require 7200RPM. 

tsammyc

• Calf

I think part of the problem is the WD Green Drives. The older ones work with NAS, but the newer ones don't. I Have 2 1TB WD Caviar Greens running on my LS Quad since 2009 without problems. However, there are lots of reports of the new WD Caviar Green not working with various Linux based NAS from Buffalo to QNAP to Synology. In fact, QNAP have taken the WD Caviar Greens off their compatability list.

In the US, the LS-WVL series come preloaded with drives, typically Seagate, so Buffalo tech support won't have experienced the problem. However in the rest of the world, the LS-WVL is sold without drives for as little as USD115 and people buying WD Caviar Greens and have the symptoms described. Buffalo Japan should take the Caviar Green drives off their compatability list.

Jotin

• Big Bull

Could you provide the model number for the drives? 

tsammyc

• Calf

On this QNAP compatability list, WD EARS and EADS are "Not Recommended Hard Drives". Under note 5, it says:

"Note5 (WD Caviar Green)
These hard disk drives have passed QNAP lab's initial verification of compatibility. However, because many users have reported unstable experience with these hard disk drives, we do not recommend using these had disk drives with QNAP products."

http://www.qnap.com/pro_compatibility.asp

yc1437

• Calf

This is the hdd model attach to my NAS:

WD20EARS-00MVWB0