Author Topic: Linkstation Pro LS-GL V2 Backup problem  (Read 4838 times)

backo

• Calf
Linkstation Pro LS-GL V2 Backup problem
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »

Hello,

for some time I use a Linkstation  Pro LS-GL V2 with firmware 1.15. Now I want to use the backup function to a external USB disk. I have formatted the USB disk with XPS and started a backup job several times. However, after a few seconds my Linkstation goes into standby and I have a error message. The backup starts after a while with correct blinking of the INFO LED at the Linkstation and suddenly it stops.

The error message is:

------- BEGIN BACKUP 2011/03/11 09:11:58 disk1/SHARE -> HS-DHGL2B4@usbdisk2 --------
building file list ...
150901 files to consider
rsync: mkdir "/mnt/usbdisk2/201103110911" failed: Input/output error (5)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(509) [receiver=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463) [sender=2.6.8]
-------- END BACKUP 2011/03/11 09:14:04 disk1/SHARE -> HS-DHGL2B4@usbdisk2 --------

Can somebody please tell me what I have done wrong.

Thank you very much for your help.

best regards

backo

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro LS-GL V2 Backup problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »

I would try to update the firmware and initialize the unit through maintenance and then initialization. Then I would try again. 

backo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:55:14 AM »
Hello Jotin, thank you very much for your fast response. However, there is no chance to upgrade the firmware as the latest version is the 1.15, which I have on my Linkstation. I also have tryed a full reset of the station and no chance to my problem. regards backo

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »

If the firmware is already update to date then you need to follow FAQ 2 of 5 were it shows you how to force flash the firmware by going into the debug settings. 

backo

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »
I am just wondering what a forced firmware update should solve my problem. The firmware of the device has been updated to 1.15 (the latest version) without the forced bit set and except the backup function, everthing is working fine. I do not want to just update the firmware not knowing if there is an advantage at all. The danger of having a problem during the update is a risk I want to minimize.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »

There is no risk to udpating the firmware. And a reinstalling the firmware can fix a lot of issues. You just want to have a wired connection on the network when you update the firmware. 

backo

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:19:21 AM »
After doing the forced update three times and testing the backup function everytime, I come to the result, that the backup function does not work at all. The firmware update did not change anything and I still get the same error message as in the beginning. It is really frustrating. In addition to that I now can no longer access the password secured directories on the Linkstation through the Windows Explorer on my Windows XP Home system. Even after using the same password and user for access of the directories through the Explorer as I use for logging in at the Linkstation. I still can log in at the Linkstation, but as it is right now. The whole thing is not useable at all and my patience is close to say stop with this. Please help, I am very, very frustrated.

backo

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:02 AM »
Hello, in the meantime I have managed to access all directories and files on the Linkstation from my XP Home system. This is solved. However, the backup still does not work. I have done the following things: 1) Format the USB disk so far twice with XPS format. The format works fine. 2) Make a forced firmware update three times with a check of the backup function every time. I do not know what else I could do. By the way. may be there is a dependance on the harddisk of the USB drive. It is a 640 GB Seagate drive. Please, please help, I need the backup function urgently.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »

Did you ever do the restore process through the interface? The only reason why the USB drive would be incompatible with the unit is if its a RAID unit, has software installedon the drive, or has a CDFS partition that also mounts when using the drive. 

backo

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
So far I have never tried to do a backup or a restore. The USB drive is no RAID, has no software installed and has no CFDS partition. May be it is because the first backup would be for 150,000 files?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »

I dont think that the amount of files would effect it. It should at least start something. I would try the restore first and see if that helps. 

backo

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 04:44:46 AM »
Thank you for your fast respone, however, the restore function also did not change anything. I still get the same message in the backup log. -------- BEGIN BACKUP 2011/03/17 12:00:37 disk1/SHARE -> LS-GL2B4@usbdisk1 -------- building file list ... 151360 files to consider rsync: mkdir "/mnt/usbdisk1/201103171200" failed: Input/output error (5) rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(509) [receiver=2.6.8] rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463) [sender=2.6.8] -------- END BACKUP 2011/03/17 12:02:36 disk1/SHARE -> LS-GL2B4@usbdisk1 -------- It is really frustrating. I have seen that a lot of people using the backup function are having problems.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »

I would plug the drive into a windows machine and run some tests on that drive. 

backo

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 04:21:08 AM »
The drive runs fine under Windows and I can use it there without any problems. The only thing that works on the Linkstation with this drive is formatting it. But that is all I can do. After I have tried another USB dharddisk on the Linkstation I am pretty sure that it is a problem of the Linkstation or its firmware.

backo

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 05:17:02 AM »
Do you have any additional idea, as I still have the same problem and can not make any backup. Thank you for your help.