Author Topic: 2nd HDD  (Read 1359 times)

Godzilla

• Calf
2nd HDD
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »

I have a question which may seem pretty basic, but I want to make sure I am getting this right.

I have a Link Station Duo - LS-WXL/R1, Firmware 1.34.

I bought it with a single 1tb drive installed.  I want to upgrade it and install two separate 2tb drives, and take the original 1tb and install that onto my desktop pc.  I installed the new 2tb drive in the unit and formatted it. 

How do I copy what is on drive1 to drive2?  Then would I need to move drive2 into the bay for drive1, or just leave it, and put in the second 2tb drive?

Any help here would be great.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: 2nd HDD
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »

Are you going to set up a RAID on the unit once both 2TB hard drives are in place? If yes, then I would wait to copy the data on to the unit until the RAID is made because when you create the RAID the data will be erased. 

Godzilla

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »

I believe so.  I only purchased one of the 2tb drives, thinking I would just upgrade later, but I am kind of learning a lesson about proper backups which prompted me to start with this unit.  I have a pc that is only 2 years old, but the secondary HDD I put in died.  I didn’t have it backed up because I thought it was newer so it would be more reliable.  Now the original HDD is starting to make a lot of noise, and I want to replace it before I have another catastrophe.  I want to put the 1tb drive from the Buffalo device into the pc, then set up the RAID as a back up for it and other machines I have.  I just want to make sure I don’t make any mistakes, and I couldn’t find specific instructions in the user manual about replacing drives. 

I guess what I really need to know is; given that the LS-WXL/R1 is a networked storage, and kind of functions as a separate machine, or mini server.  Where is the operating system that runs it housed?  Is it in the circuitry, or is it on the original drive?

sethz

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »

We cannot support replacing drives with larger ones (it will void any warranty you have). But do be advised that the unit is in XFS format. So if you did use the drive in a Windows computer you would have to reformat it before you can do anything with it.

To answer the question the main part of the operating system is on the drives.