Author Topic: Empty Directories LinkStation Live  (Read 4481 times)

daveirl

• Calf
Empty Directories LinkStation Live
« on: December 27, 2008, 08:00:23 AM »

Hi, I recently got a 500GB LinkStation Live and I'm having some problems with it. I set it up to share media across my network and used my Mac to copy the files to a share called 'Music' and one called 'Video'. So far so good, I can access these files just fine from my mac. The problem is that when I try and access these from some other computer on the network all I can see is just the directories. When I go into these there are no files.

I've tried using SMB & Appletalk to read them, tried turning on and off access restrictions but none of that seems to work to allow the other computers see the files. I'm stuck with only being able to access them from the machine that created them.

Where am I going wrong, I've tried altering the positions by viewing the info on the files on my mac but that doesn't seem to work?

daveirl

• Calf
Re: Empty Directories LinkStation Live
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »
   I've been digging around a bit more, it looks like even if I create a share that has no access permissions it can only be seen by logging in as the user that created the files. Makes no sense, no matter what computer I log in with I can only see it using the one login.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »
With no access restrictions on the folder anyone should be able to see the contents of these folders. On the Mac after you connect to a folder it should ask how you would like to connect to the folder, try connecting as guest both from the computer that copies the files onto the NAS drive and the secondary computer that is trying to access said content.

daveirl

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »

That's how I would expect it would work also. I really can't understand this. So just to reiterate I have a share called 'Music' I have no access restrictions on that. I connected to the Linkstation using a username called 'dave'. I then used iTunes to consolidate all my MP3s onto the Music drive. So far so good, but if I try and connect to this with a different username I can't see any of the files just the root directories.

How do I log in with the guest account? What's the password on it? 

I even tried navigating to it on the terminal and playing around with permissions there but that didn't do anything.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:25:08 PM »

It should be an option when you connect to the drive from the Mac, if you already have a connection to it reboot the Mac to clear the login information. Then, when you go to go -> connect to server and put in the information for the drive it should ask how you would like to login, one of the options will be "Connect As Guest" which will pass username guest with no password as its login credentials.

Also, as a test I would like you to create a new file on the NAS drive and try copying a non-iTunes file into this folder, see if this behaves the same way or not. I'm curious to see if it is the iTunes DRM getting in the way of this or not.

daveirl

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 06:14:08 AM »
   OK so I tried logging into the shares as guest and that didn't work. I don't think it's anything to do with iTunes either. I actually created a new username and some new public shares and when I put files on those things are still only visible from the other computers when i log in with the username used to create the files!!

This makes no sense to me. I've set things to no access permissions and yet I'm still getting them, something to do with the way my Mac is creating the files on the Linkstation when it copies them over?

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:45:10 PM »

I would like to try and duplicate this issue myself is possible.

What is the exact model number of your LinkStation?  Also, what kind of Mac are you running and what version of MacOS is it using?