Author Topic: Using an External USB Drive formatted with NTFS for backup on the LinkStation Duo - LSWX20TLR1  (Read 16937 times)

theitwizard

• Calf

I have a LinkStation Duo - LSWX20TLR1 and I wish to use a NTFS formatted USB Disk to back it up in case it fails. Based on what I have read with user reviews, this usually happens after the 1 year warrenty expires.  However, NTFS is not supported on the product. 

I am a little disappointed that Buffalo Technology does not know that over 90% of the PC/Server users out in the real world use Windows and NTFS formatted disks.  This is not a Linux world people, with only 10% using the OS.  I would ask that Buffalo Technology provide NTFS support on all their products.  I am in the technology consulting business and I will not recommend Buffalo Technology NAS storage or wireless products to any of my customers until NTFS support is available. This is a real turnoff for me.

Does anyone know if NTFS will ever be supported on all of Buffalo Technology products?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

this is not going to happen. put the HDD to FAT32 and make sure the files you want to backup are less than 4GB. Or try using a non crappy OS and actually give linux a try....... after all.................... its free.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

theitwizard

• Calf

FAT32 is out of the question.  Some of the media files stored on the NAS is over 4GB in length. FAT32 will not handle large files.  One of the reasons I purchased a 2TB Raid 1 is for the media files.  If I try to backup these files to a FAT32 USB 1TB disk, it will not work.  Any other suggestions?  NTFS is the windows standard now, and is used on over 90% of the PCs in the world. It needs to be supported by Buffalo Tech. This company will continue to lose market share until it supports full read/write access to NTFS disks.  Seagate is closing fast on network storage arrays and they fully support NTFS on both their array disks and external USB connected drives. Why can Seagate do it and Buffalo Tech cannot?

mottorad

• Calf

I'm with you on support for larger file sizes using NTFS.  This is not rocket science to support.  The whole purpose for my LSQ was to back up my media files as well.  I never got USB to work to my satisfaction either and as a result I added an external eSATA driive (actually a Fantom Technologies mrror set) to my workstation to perform the "backup"  through my workstation to that mirror (leveraging SyncToy BTW).  As the backups are incremental it's not too bad.  I'm gald I do that because without warning the LSQ recently lost the RAID table and crashed.  Rather than use a live CD to boot Linux and try and rebuild the RAID I simply nuked the LSQ and started over leveraging the mirror backup.

theitwizard

• Calf

You had to go to a lot of time consuming work to get this done.  I on the other hand do not have a lot of time to waste.  Thanks for the update.  I am thinking Buffalo Tech may find that it is better to conform to the norm that to fight against the wind. 

Jotin

• Big Bull

It is NOT normal for a unit to support NTFS. NTFS is a WINDOWS ONLY FORMAT. Outs units support FAT32 and XFS for writing and NTFS for reading. I have not seen any products that are not running a microsoft OS that can write to NTFS. 

theitwizard

• Calf

Check out the Seagate line of NAS. Theirs will support for read/write NTFS formatted external USB drive.  You cannot format it attached to the NAS as NTFS, but if it has been formatted on a Windows PC and plugged into their NAS, it works great.

Stonie

• Calf

NTFS-3G works great for writing windows disks under linux. the reason it dosent work on your NAS is because Buffalo firmware sucks.

Writing to NTFS would been easy to implement in the linux based firmware that resides on your NAS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

Guess you should buy a QNAP or give your Buffalo it's brains back: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page