Author Topic: DriveStation 1TB, Vista x64, Firewire, Slow transfer speeds  (Read 8934 times)

cs11976

• Calf
DriveStation 1TB, Vista x64, Firewire, Slow transfer speeds
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I have a Buffalo Drivestation 1tb connected via Firewire (1394).

It seems to work, as far as functionality is concerned and I don't get any errors.

However, when transferring large files (1-50 gigabytes) my throughput starts out fast then falls down to 6 megabytes/sec.  Firewire is supposed to be 400 or 800 mb/sec.  IF modify windows drive policies to turn on drive optimization and write behind caching, I get a sustained maximum throughput of 20 megabytes/sec.  This is still a far, far cry from 400mb/sec or 800 mb/sec.  

My system drivers and OS are both fully patched and up to date.   My firewire controller is built into my Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 motherboard.  It is detected under IEEE 1394 Bus host contollers as a "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller".  The disk drive shows up as "BUFFALO INC HDD1 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device".

If I plug this same drivestation into my windows xp laptop via USB 2.0, I get sustained transfer rates of large files at about 40 megabytes/sec.

Why is it so slow on my Vista system?

cs11976

• Calf
Re: DriveStation 1TB, Vista x64, Firewire, Slow transfer speeds
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:59:02 AM »
   Bump - hello?  I see a bunch of responses on other posts newer than mine but nobody is responding to mine.  Do you need more information?   Please help - thanks!

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »

Make sure that you have the latest chip set drivers for vista for your motherboard (this can be downloaded from the manufactures site).  What format is the drive in? 

What speeds to you get from USB?

cs11976

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 11:04:55 AM »
   Paul: I already said i have the latest drivers for my chipset and my first message stated the speeds I get with USB.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Deteriorative 1TB, Vista x64, Firewire, Slow transfer speeds
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:34:19 PM »
Have you tried another PC?  If so are the speeds comparable?

cs11976

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »

Paul wrote:
Have you tried another PC?  If so are the speeds comparable?

As my original message stated, I have tried it in USB on my Windows XP laptop and it's faster than firewire on Vista.

I do not have another pc with a firewire port to try.  I only have the one vista machine with firewire.  My laptop with Windows XP has USB 2.0 only.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:33:56 AM »

Do you have any other firewire drives that you could test the speed on?

I want to find the device with  the issue, it could be the firewire controller on the buffalo or your PC. 

cs11976

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »

Paul wrote:

Do you have any other firewire drives that you could test the speed on?

I want to find the device with  the issue, it could be the firewire controller on the buffalo or your PC. 

The buffalo drivestation is the only firewire drive I own. 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »

We need to eliminate one of the variables, if the drive is new you can try an exchange if not you can try an RMA.  I also want to rule out the controller for the PC, do you have or can you obtain a pci firewire card?  This will ensure that the PC controller is not the issue.

Also have you contacted support for the PC?  

cs11976

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »

Paul wrote:

We need to eliminate one of the variables, if the drive is new you can try an exchange if not you can try an RMA.  I also want to rule out the controller for the PC, do you have or can you obtain a pci firewire card?  This will ensure that the PC controller is not the issue.

Also have you contacted support for the PC?  

The drive is not new, it's a little over a year old, it's always had this problem, I've just never posted here about it.   The firewire is built into my motherboard.  I built my pc myself from scratch.  Could this problem be caused by the firewire cable?  I do not have any "extra" or "free" firewire cards lying around.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »

If you contact your local support they may be able to set you up with a parts order for a new cable.

clam45

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 01:35:42 PM »

Did you ever fix this? I am having the exact same problem 4-5 MB/sec on windows vista.  Using the same cable (same computer) on an Iomega portable hard drive, I get 18 Mb/sec. 

Chris

Message Edited by clam45 on 05-28-2009 01:36 PM

Goldengoose7

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »

I am seeing the exact same problem on my brand new DriveStation Combo Model#HD-CE1.0TlU2 but on Mac OSX 10.5.7.

On my iBook G4 using a direct connection to the Firewire 400 port, I am getting 2.5 mb/sec while trying to backup the machine using SuperDuper!.  The exact same machine using the same Firewire 400 cable connected to my 5 year old EZQUEST Firewire 400 drive, I am getting 29.5 mb/sec.  Same cord, same backup software, same computer and working with the exact same data.

WTF?

I bought this drive to get better speeds than a USB external it was "supposed" to be replacing and yet, I am getting less than 1/3 the speed of that drive and fractions of what a TRUE Firewire 400 drive should deliver! 

Don't tell me that the product Buffalo is shipping today still has some kind of firmware issue.  ?? 

Not a happy camper at all! :( 

I would definitely like to hear an explanation and a fix from tech support. 

Message Edited by Goldengoose7 on 05-28-2009 11:56 PM

tlotzer

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »

I have a Buffalo 500 Gb drive (Model HD-HC500U2-US) hooked up to my Win Vista Home premium HP Pavillion tx1000 Notebook laptop via USB cable. Transferring files to the Buffalo is slow at 157 Kb/sec. Any way to speed it up. How to I tell if the driver is reverting to USB1 speed rather than USB2 speed. I downloaded some of your drivers but unsure how to replace/update them.

It runs great on Win2000 and my Mac OSX at work.