Author Topic: HS-DH500GL won't let me add a printer in Vista  (Read 3045 times)

glennaa11

• Calf
HS-DH500GL won't let me add a printer in Vista
« on: December 24, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »

I just bought a refurb HS-DH500GL. I think I managed to DL the right software and I am able to access the drive and write to the disk. But when I try to use the print server I am stuck.

Attempts to "Add a printer" in Vista gets me an error message telling me that I do not have authorization to do so. But I am the only user of this computer and am logged in with admin rights. So I don't understand why this thing thinks I am not authorized. I set the print server to "enable" in the set up webpage. I disabled bidirectional communication before I disconnected the printer from the USB port of my computer. If I go to "System Status"/USB Details it shows the printer connected to the USB port of the LinkStation and it is correctly identified. But if I click on "printers" under the HS-DGL955 item under "Network" in Vista it is empty.

The printer is a Konica-Minolta PagePRo 1350W monochrome laser printer. It has worked perfectly well with my computer for a couple of years. So I am pretty baffled at this point.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: HS-DH500GL won't let me add a printer in Vista
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »

The print function is designed to work with post script printers only, if yours is not you can try to disable the bi-directional communications function of the printer. 

To connect to the printer make sure you have the drivers installed on the computer first, then go to run and type \\IP_OF_NAS.  You will see a folder called lp right click on it and choose connect. 

glennaa11

• Calf
Re: HS-DH500GL won't let me add a printer in Vista
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:56:35 AM »
   Thanks a million. That didn't exactly fix my issue, but it put me on the right track to working out the problem and it seems to be working correctly.