Author Topic: HD-CEU2 only showing an "f" folder... grrr!  (Read 5105 times)

ankhaw93

• Calf
HD-CEU2 only showing an "f" folder... grrr!
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »

Okay, I've had my Turbo USB HD-CEU2 drive for a few months, and it works okay, I guess.  Didn't show up once in "my computer", but I just cycled the power on and off and it showed back up.  Now, I have a problem that's worrying me...

I have about 95gig of files on my G: drive, the HD-CEU2, 500gig capacity.  Got some stuff I've stored on there by clicking and dragging, and other stuff that's on there as backup stuff using the Windows backup utility.  Well, instead of showing all my folders and files, my Turbo USB drive is just showing a folder designated "f" containing 0 bytes. When I click on it I get an error message saying that "G:\f refers to a location that is unavailable..." If I right click and bring up "properties" on the drive letter itself, it still shows that there is my 95gig of info on my drive, but I just can't get to it.  I've rebooted the computer and cycled the power on the Turbo USB unit, also.

One or two more clues... when I click on My Computer, the HD-CEU2 used show up as the G: drive with a little icon next to it that looked like the actual unit, now it just shows the generic windows icon for a hard drive.  AND, I just did the microsoft patch for Internet Explorer 7 to fix that security issue... I can't say for sure the drive was fine immediately before I installed the patch and bad immediately after, but it could have been.

Any help would be appreciated, I purchased this unit to back up some important files, and I'd hate to think they're gone. 

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: HD-CEU2 only showing an "f" folder... grrr!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:14:21 AM »
It sounds like the file partition is bad, what format did you have the drive in?  Also you can go to your disk management (right click on my computer, then click on manage.  Open storage then disk manager.)  from there you should be able to run disk scans.

ankhaw93

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:00:45 PM »
   When I do what you recommend, I get... layout - simple / type - basic / file system - FAT32 / status - healthy (primary

ankhaw93

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 06:04:21 PM »

Oooops, sorry about that other post, I hit the wrong button when the phone rang and accidently posted... here we go again...

When I do what you recommend, I get... layout - simple / type - basic / file system - FAT32 / status - healthy (Primary Partition)

When I first got this thing I tried to format it to NTFS, but the software wouldn't let me... I sent an email to Buffalo Tech and got a form letter back with no help.  Hmmm.  I also got a letter back from them about this telling me to run scandisk from a DOS prompt, which I don't know how to do in Windows Vista.  (can't be too hard, I just haven't had a chance to do it yet)

All of my info is still on this drive, I think, it still shows that there's 95gig of information on the stupid thing, but it's just not letting me in. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this...! 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:01:48 PM »
when your in the disk manager can you right click on the health partiton and run a disk check?

ankhaw93

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:09:22 PM »

I right clicked on it, went to properties, tools, error-checking... it found an error, fixed it, and now it shows "this folder is empty"... while still showing that there's 95gig of info on it.  Hmm.  I haven't tried rebooting the computer after this, yet...

BTW, thank you very much for all of your help.  Even if it doesn't work, thanks!

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »
If data recover is not an issue I would reformat the disk, this sounds like a file structure error.

ankhaw93

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »
   Well, actually, I WOULD like to not lose the data on the disc... there are some free programs floating around on the web for data recovery, aren't there?  Also, isn't it a clue that in "my computer", next to the G: drive (the HD-CEU2), it no longer shows me the old icon, the one that looked like the unit itself?  Now it just shows the generic windows icon?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:39:14 PM »
That tells me there is an error on the file structure of the disk.  Try to use ufs explorer its a good recovery program.