Author Topic: What Might Cause LS-WVL 4TB To Freeze Up Unexpectedly?  (Read 1101 times)

GAtkins

• Calf
What Might Cause LS-WVL 4TB To Freeze Up Unexpectedly?
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »

Hey guys,

I have had the LS-WVL 4TB for a couple of weeks now without any issues.  I have an automated status email set up at midnight and an automated backup from one internal drive to the other set up to run at 7am.

Sometime between when I went to bed last night around 10:30pm and midnight, the unit completely froze up and the status email did not generate nor did the backup run at 7am today.  I did not notice the absence of emails until after I left the house this morning so remote access to the web interface nor the configuration were available.

When I got home tonight the main light was still blue and no error led's were flashing.  I turned the power switch from ON (not auto) to OFF and waited 15 minutes with no shut down of the unit.  When I gently pick the unit up, I could feel the centrifigal force of one or more drives spinning, but the unit did not power down after turning the switch to off.

After 15 minutes I removed the power plug from the back, waited a few seconds, and plugged it back in.  Things seem to be back to normal.

Any ideas what might have caused this or how I might prevent it in the future?  No environmental or system configuration changes occured yesterday that would have been contributing factors.

While away from home I had complete remote access to my router and remote desktop to another computer, but no joy with the NAS.

Thanks in advance for any replies or ideas.

Glenn

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: What Might Cause LS-WVL 4TB To Freeze Up Unexpectedly?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »

You may want to try flashing the firmware on the unit. That could really be the only thing that caused it to freeze.