Author Topic: Linkstation Pro 1Tb Backup Issues  (Read 1998 times)

electroweb

• Calf
Linkstation Pro 1Tb Backup Issues
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »

I'm coming to the end of my tether with my crappy Linkstation's refusal to work with OSX files.

The unit is set to do a weekly back up (incremental, adding new files and not deleting anything) to a 1.5Tb drive which is plugged into the NAS. This worked perfectly for 12 months, then I got a macbook and something went wrong.

The backup proceeds ok, then the setup page says "an error occurred during backup". The error in the log is always along the lines of:

rsync: cannot stat destination "/mnt/usbdisk1/_backups": Input/output error (5)

rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(493) [receiver=2.6.8]

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463)

Previously, I could go in a reset the backups and it would come up with the same error but did appear to have done the backup properly. But that was a manual backup, which it should be automatic. As well as the above errors, it invariable fails on the hidden osx files.

This weekend I reformatted the USB drive as FAT32 (it was previously XFS) and set the backup off again. Now this time it won't even complete the initial, full backup.

This set-up is completely useless for me. I deliberately chose a NAS that would back itself up to an external drive, to protect against drive failure and accidetal deletion. Now it's not doing it at all.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong and how I can get the drive to do what it's supposed to? I've had long email chats with Buffalo support, who didn't give me any indication that they even understood what the error log was saying...

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro 1Tb Backup Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »

What is the exact model number and firmware version of your unit? 

electroweb

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »

It's a Linkstation Pro LS-GL unit with 1.15 firmware, I've identified it as the 'new' hardware version

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »

This linkstation will only back up to XFS drives so you would need to reformat the drive. Before that though I would follow FAQ 2 of 5 and force flash the firmware on the unit and then do a full initialization. 

electroweb

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »

Hi

The USB disk won't format via the LinkStation. It will format when plugged directly into a laptop, but obviously I can't format as XFS then. 

Also, I've attempted the force refresh of the firmware, but the installer crashes immediately when trying to run it via Win7

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »

Then I would re download the firmware updater. I do not have any issues running a firmware update on my W7 machine. Make sure you have all of your firewalls and antivirus disabled. If you have norton or macafee you will have to use another pc without that antirvirus or just uninstall that antivirus. 

electroweb

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »

Just downloaded it to a different machine and tried it again. Same problem, I modify the ini file as per the FAQ, then try to run the application. Almost as soon as I double-click, I get a Windows error that the program has stopped working and closed.

The machine only uses Windows Firewall and anti virus. Both were disabled.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:45 AM »

You may want to redownload the updater. Like I said, I have no issues running the updater. And If there were an issue, it would be a big topic in the forum. You may want to even try another pc to update the firmware with. 

electroweb

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:13:01 AM »

As I said, I redownloaded it to a completely different machine and ran it from there, with the same result.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »

Which version of anti virus specifically? And you could also try running the updater in windows safe mode. 

electroweb

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »

It's the latest version of the Microsoft AV system, I don't know exactly what version but recently updated.

I'll try from safe mode

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »

Microsoft security essentials should be fine and should not cause a problem with updating the unit on windows 7. You could also try right clicking and choosing run in compatibility mode under the properties section.