Author Topic: TS-Pro II with TS-Live Firmware  (Read 4475 times)

kochrk

• Calf
TS-Pro II with TS-Live Firmware
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »

Hope somebody can help.  I bought a TS-Pro II (TS-H1.0TGL/R5) with no hard drives.  I had recently upgraded my TS-Live to 4TB (HS-DH2.0TGL/R5US) and I put my four (now spare) 500GB drives into that TS-Pro II.  I went to upgrade to the latest 1.33 firmware and noticed it had the TS-Live firmware of 2.14 on it and I could not get the updater to see the TS-Pro II (with the TS-Live firmware apparently).

I am a bit confused because I thought the firmware would update the TS motherboard.  At this point, I would even like some questions if I haven't been clear enough.  My TS-Pro II even has TS-Live options such as PC Cast and Web Access (Don't know if they work but they are on the menu)

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: TS-Pro II with TS-Live Firmware
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »

The firmware is on both the main board and the boot partitons of the drives.

you can try our TFTP boot loader 

tftp

kochrk

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
   Thanks Paul, I will try this as soon as I can and post the results.

kochrk

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »

I just tried the TFTP boot loader as suggested.  I hooked up the TS to a laptop and followed all the directions and I never get a response on the accepting requests but I can see the TS with the navigator as 169.254.164.56.

Any TS Pro Firmware Updater will not see the unit to update.  Now the TS-Live Firmware Updater will see it but I don't want to upgrade to that, I want to get it back to a TS-Pro with TS-Pro features.

You can read my initial post to see how I got into this mess.

kochrk

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »

Further info:  It is seen in the Navigator and the Web Interface as a HS-DHTGL/R5 1.10, yet it is a TS-HTGL/R5.  I can only update with TS-LIVE Firmwares.  Is there a way to modify an .ini file to fake it into thinking it is a Pro?  Currently, it sees it as a TS-LIVE (I beat that one to death, eh?).

Even the Navigator2 colors it a light grey as opposed to the black in the icon view.

**Other than the initial EM Boot screen, once it is booted up there are no indications that it is in EM Mode.  Looks like the rest.  I am not sure if this is normal.

Message Edited by kochrk on 04-15-2009 07:41 PM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
If you're looking to retain your data and changeover these drives you're probably running on a pretty thin line here. Switching drives from a chasis of one model to another of a different model will usually yield results such as this. If TFTP didn't work then your best bet is going to be to take those old drives, wipe them (i.e. format) and re-attempt a TFTP boot with the clean old drives. Of course there are probably other opinions but that's my take on the situation.

kochrk

• Calf
TS-Pro II vs. the latest TS-LIVE
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »

Are the two units in the Subject sharing basically the same Motherboard? I only ask because of my previous post that I am still trying to solve: TS-Pro II with TS-Live Firmware

I bought a TS-Pro II with no hard drives and put the four hard drives in from a TS-LIVE that I upgraded and now I have a TS-PRO II that thinks it is a TS-LIVE and will only accept the TS-Live firmware.  Some might think this is a bonus, but I wanted to get it back to what it is supposed to be, a TS-PRO II. I don't use any of the Live functions such as PC cast and Web Access.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: TS-Pro II vs. the latest TS-LIVE
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:44:40 PM »
Please do not double post on the same subject.

kochrk

• Calf
Re: TS-Pro II vs. the latest TS-LIVE
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »
   I wasn't thinking, jumping between topics.  I'm moving data off as we speak and I will try what you suggested.

kochrk

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »

Well, this is what I did...  I have 2 TS Pro II's.  I upgraded the drives in the one that was good on the firmware and all and put the drives from that in the TS Pro I had the live firmware on.  So, I have everything back to normal.  I still can't understand why the TFTP didn't work but I am good.  Thanks for the input.

Rudy

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »
Awesome thanks for posting back the results :)

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:09:49 AM »
   I had the same problem as you before and I was shocked to see my TS Pro II with Live features and pressing on the Display button shows that it is a Terastation Live model. So using tftp boot, i manged to boot it on a TS Pro II firmware and voila! it went back to a TS Pro II and thank God, as always, my 1.6tb of data was still there and readable. However on another case, it was not successful. The data in it were gone but fortunately, the data was not important and I all i did was to delete all the partitions in all four hard drives and then proceed to tftpboot into the TS Pro II with the new firmware. Best bet is to backup whatever data you can see in the "Terastation Live" then proceed to TFTP it with the TS Pro II firmware.